Author Topic: Omni's Guide To High Speed Leveling 1-30 (Work in Progress)  (Read 17007 times)

Offline Minsky

• Recruit First Class
Re: Omni's Guide To High Speed Leveling 1-30 (Work In Progress)
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2008, 05:51:48 PM »

Interesting start... I look forward to future reading. ;)

Offline Omni

• Corporal
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2008, 04:32:49 PM »
Gangrel,

I'm ready to call this the "1.0" version now.  I think the bulk of this guide is there.  It could use a few more missions on the lists but otherwise I think it's ready.  Can you rename it from (Work In Progress) to (Version 1.0)? or should I start a new thread and you can close this one?

Thanks,

Omni

31 Medic  /  30 Exo / 17 Ranger  /  15 Commando / 15 Sapper

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2008, 05:14:52 PM »
Do a new thread for it (which i will lock) and you can carry on using this one as a WIP update guide etc.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2008, 11:50:53 PM »
Well, I ran some tests and it still is perfectly possible to grind the trench with a lvl 22 shotgun at lvl 26 within the following constraints:
a) ppl running into Devil's Den can severly disrupt your grind. Apart from that downside, it's boring as hell @ lvl 26 >:D
b) in order to keep your 250% bonus you either need to forego the Fithiks at either end of the trench, or keep a hunter / footsoldier alive and shooting at you to get some slack while running back from either end of the trench.
c) a non-electric Rifle (Hunters!) and Laser (Fire? Ice?) Shotgun are a must; I'm using purple stuff to compensate for Firearms 1 and I still 2-3 shot all mobs.
d) being as it may, the sweet spot in terms of mobs are smack in the middle where the rocks are blocking part of your view, so in order to get back to the beginning of the trench it's advisable to have Sprint selected as your ability of choice to keep the 250% bonus flowing.

I can imagine grinding here from lvl 22 onward is faster than the Fithik Circle (not to mention you'll get your 40 Hunters for the Palisades ToO handed to you on a silver platter!), but I'll test more extensively on the next (biotechnician?) toon to ensure it's not a Soldier only place ;D
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008, 07:34:47 PM by Unomat »
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2008, 07:41:13 PM »
Omni, ran through the guide again to check where I left off this afternoon when some small possible improvement caught my eye. At several points in the guide you mention the player needs to grind, however you only explain the technique of grinding once in the part of the guide about Memory Hill. If someone would like to do a quick refresher on grinding, he'll have a harder time finding your exposé than should be necessary.

May I suggest you split that out and put it in the Introduction as a separate chapter? And as an additional suggestion on grinding: in more than one case, having sprint ready in your ability tray could actually compensate for (or best) having a Rifle to stay in combat mode, especially in places where the environment doesn't always give you an easy LOS.
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »
not sure if it helps but i found a better grind spot from 27-30 was just outside Raintree Post.  Head west (iirc) down the trench and up the other side to where the atta spawn, and simply run up and down here with a good laser shot gun, with a cryo in reserve for Flaregashers.  As a rule of thumb id make about 100k xp every 30-45 mins up and down here solo, and the regular npc patrols along the road mean that you can usually run for support without any major problems.
Its harder to maintain a good 250% modifier, but easily managable spawns of 6-8 atta at the a couple of points with liberal scatterings of barb ticks and solo atta mean that the xp comes pretty steadily, with the benefit of a bane bunker at one end if you get bored.

www.piratesoup.net - Games, movies and randomness.

Offline Omni

• Corporal
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2008, 04:10:33 PM »
Omni, ran through the guide again to check where I left off this afternoon when some small possible improvement caught my eye. At several points in the guide you mention the player needs to grind, however you only explain the technique of grinding once in the part of the guide about Memory Hill. If someone would like to do a quick refresher on grinding, he'll have a harder time finding your exposé than should be necessary.

May I suggest you split that out and put it in the Introduction as a separate chapter? And as an additional suggestion on grinding: in more than one case, having sprint ready in your ability tray could actually compensate for (or best) having a Rifle to stay in combat mode, especially in places where the environment doesn't always give you an easy LOS.

Good call, guide updated using your suggestions.  Thank you for all this help Unomat, appreciate it!

Offline Omni

• Corporal
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2008, 10:07:20 PM »
Well, I ran some tests and it still is perfectly possible to grind the trench with a lvl 22 shotgun at lvl 26 within the following constraints:
a) ppl running into Devil's Den can severly disrupt your grind. Apart from that downside, it's boring as hell @ lvl 26 >:D
b) in order to keep your 250% bonus you either need to forego the Fithiks at either end of the trench, or keep a hunter / footsoldier alive and shooting at you to get some slack while running back from either end of the trench.
c) a non-electric Rifle (Hunters!) and Laser (Fire? Ice?) Shotgun are a must; I'm using purple stuff to compensate for Firearms 1 and I still 2-3 shot all mobs.
d) being as it may, the sweet spot in terms of mobs are smack in the middle where the rocks are blocking part of your view, so in order to get back to the beginning of the trench it's advisable to have Sprint selected as your ability of choice to keep the 250% bonus flowing.

I can imagine grinding here from lvl 22 onward is faster than the Fithik Circle (not to mention you'll get your 40 Hunters for the Palisades ToO handed to you on a silver platter!), but I'll test more extensively on the next (biotechnician?) toon to ensure it's not a Soldier only place ;D

It seems to me that a combination of "easier" missions mixed in with some heavy grinding will get you to level 30 faster than stopping at all of these "other" non-reliable grinding spots.  The only way to be sure is to make 2 toons, level them to 22 using fithik circle and then setup a timer and see how long it takes to get to level 25 using just missions from Divide/Palisades or running up and down the trench.  Also, the trench is a heavily used area with a few different missions, a waypoint, and a instance at the end of it... people are *constantly* running up and down that trench.  I don't feel it's necessary or reliable enough to have a new section devoted to it.  Grinding 8-15 at Memory hill, grinding 15-25 at Fithik, and then 28-30 at the CP means you have grinded out about 2/3 of the levels... which to me is more than enough and filling in the other 1/3 of those levels doing "easy" missions / logos missions should be faster than usingn slower or less reliable grind areas.  Realize I thought about this quite a bit and while I think your suggestion is an "OK" alternative to the level filling missions I've outlined, I don't think it's good enough to create a section on.  Thanks!

PS.  I added a picture/map to the guide. :P

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2008, 01:55:34 PM »
Ow I agree on the spot being far from perfect! However, the circle can only cater for 2 ppl (one in Palisades (1) and one in (2))  at the same time and from lvl 23 onward (lvl 18+5) the XP from Fithiks starts to drop noticably. All I'm trying to say is that the trench can be a viable alternative when the circle has already been taken ;) That being said, I've never had any trouble badgering ppl out of the circle when they tried to take over; all it takes is the determination to foil their 250% bonus through judicious use of Sprint, always trying to be ahead of their path >:D

Offline Maulfire

• Corporal
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2008, 08:35:47 PM »
Another possible way to get xp (lvl28+) as long as you can stand it, which will hopefully be better after the patch, is to run mires missions. Also there is a very nice grinding spot at the brann lz and at the base in the middle(sorry can't remember name right offhand).
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Tabula Rasa      -    AoC     -  Warhammer
Guardian/Engineer - Barbarian - Bright Wizard

Offline Drexus

• Corporal
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2008, 12:58:27 AM »
Another possible way to get xp (lvl28+) as long as you can stand it, which will hopefully be better after the patch, is to run mires missions. Also there is a very nice grinding spot at the brann lz and at the base in the middle(sorry can't remember name right offhand).

Indeed, levelled a few characters to 30 in that area even with the famous Mires lag, if they fix the performance issues with the next patch however it should be a less painful experience but that goes for the whole zone in general really.
Centaurus server: Drexus ~ [35 Grenadier] ~ [31 Guardian] ~ [30 Sniper] ~ [30 Spy] ~ [26 Sapper] ~ [15 Biotechnician]

Offline Omni

• Corporal
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2008, 04:18:19 PM »

Indeed, levelled a few characters to 30 in that area even with the famous Mires lag, if they fix the performance issues with the next patch however it should be a less painful experience but that goes for the whole zone in general really.

Okay Sweet... thanks you guys (Maulfire/Drexus).  I'll have a look at this area after 1.4 and see if it's lag-free enough for a good grind.  Maybe I should just add some of the grind spots you and Unomat have mentioned... like.. a grind spot list at the end of my guide for alternative locations. 

Offline Maulfire

• Corporal
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2008, 08:21:11 PM »
Let me know if you ever start a 30+ guide, I've got plenty of pretty good grinding areas there, including a nice one in decent.
Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken.

Close only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.

Tabula Rasa      -    AoC     -  Warhammer
Guardian/Engineer - Barbarian - Bright Wizard

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2008, 10:53:24 PM »
Well, I finally dinged Guardian on my crafter by bending some rules in this guide, i.e. not speeding up after the Fithik circle but actively slowing down. Turns out it's perfectly possible to level a character with only a minimum set of abilities (Pump 1 in Chainguns, Launchers and Graviton armor) and finishing in Plains after grinding for a coupla hours in Palisades. The only trouble I ran into with this setup were the Striders and the Atta, but nothing a proper Laser chaingun couldn't handle ;)

Offline Omni

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2008, 02:35:51 PM »
Well, I finally dinged Guardian on my crafter by bending some rules in this guide, i.e. not speeding up after the Fithik circle but actively slowing down. Turns out it's perfectly possible to level a character with only a minimum set of abilities (Pump 1 in Chainguns, Launchers and Graviton armor) and finishing in Plains after grinding for a coupla hours in Palisades. The only trouble I ran into with this setup were the Striders and the Atta, but nothing a proper Laser chaingun couldn't handle ;)

Gratz buddy and I"m happy to hear the guide was of some assistance. :)