Author Topic: Kissing Cousins - Maya Rasmussen  (Read 3254 times)

Offline Maya Rasmussen

• Recruit
    • Nightstalkers
Kissing Cousins - Maya Rasmussen
« on: January 09, 2008, 11:41:20 PM »
She stepped through the door and moved towards the bar with the distinct saunter of a woman on the prowl, Jade smiled to herself as heads turned in her direction, the affect she had carefully tailored herself to create. She found a spot at the bar, it looked like someone had just left their seat for a moment but she didn’t care, less than a minute passed until the bartender placed a margarita in front of her, “Complements of the gentleman in the corner,” he said. Jade smirked, men, they were so predictable, she had her mark and it took less time than she thought it would.

She turned her head and smiled at the man in the corner, he was cute enough, though that didn’t matter to Jade, money was money and he looked like he had a bit to throw around. Jade left the bar and slowly approached his table, she wasn’t interested in face to face conversation so she pulled a chair right next to him and leaning into his body, sat down, placing her hand on his thigh to garner a reaction.

“Rasmussen,” she heard hear name called from across the room. “Captain, over here,” the voice came again. Jade scanned through the crowd to try and find the source when she spotted her, Maya. “****,” Jade whispered to herself, of all family members that could have resurfaced it had to be the bratty, self righteous, know it all Maya. “Maya a Captain,” she asked herself incredulously, she was but a private herself and spent most of her time hell bent on not even being that. She would have to do something about this; there was no way she could let her bratty little cousin hold a higher rank than herself.

Turning back to here mark she whispered into his ear, “Let’s get out of here,” she stood up and the mark closely followed. She was angry now and she needed to release that frustration, like a deer in the headlights, her mark never saw it coming, she didn't even charge him.

[One month later]

Men, they were so easy to control, a bat of her eye, a smile at the right time, and they were putty in her hands. It had taken her a month and a lot of “persuading” but she was now a Corporal of the AFS and personal aide to Colonel Whitaker stationed at the Irendas Penal Colony. She had just left a private “meeting” with him with a smile on her face, not so much because of the act, but because of what the act meant, that she was getting what she wanted, she always got what she wanted. Like a grocery list in her head she reviewed and selected her next course of action, she had been plotting hard for the past month, now it was time to shake the tree a bit.

It was late when she arrived; she had “bribed” one of the guards to get in and to keep her name off the books, Jade made her way inside, her sharp eyes picking out details in the dark others might miss. Sneaking around was something she had always been good at, it was a part of her nature, slinking around in the dark, she was a creature of the night. The door was easy to find, her cousin’s name clearly written on the frosted glass window, Jade deftly picked the lock and let herself in. Maya would be back soon, and she’d be waiting for her.

Maya entered her office, preoccupied as usual, action reports and duty rosters running through her head, it’d be another couple of hours of paperwork before she’d be able to make her way over to her room for some much needed rest, but work comes first. She hung her cover and started to set her coffee maker up to brew.

“Hello Maya,” a familiar voice said, there was no mistaking that voice, one that had haunted Maya every summer break until she had left for college.

Maya had stopped moving completely for a moment but without turning around she continued to get the coffee ready, “Jade, I’m glad to see you made it off Earth alive.”

“Oh I’m sure cousin, and I too am similarly happy to see you survived,” the edge in her voice too obvious to ignore, “I thought I had been the only one in the family to make it, oh but what a joyous day don’t you think, cousin?”

Maya continued to keep her back turned, she wasn’t afraid of Jade physically, Maya knew she preferred the scars created by emotional torture over anything else. “What do you want Jade,” Maya asked, “I know you did not come here for social visit.”

“Short and to the point as always cousin,” Jade smiled, “easy enough answer though, I want your job Maya, Captain Jade Rasmussen, it has a ring to it, don’t you think, cousin?”

Maya smiled to herself, knowing for Jade this would never be obtainable, besides the absurdity and childishness of the idea, selfish people did not an officer make, “You know that will never happen Jade, am I to assume your using your normal tactics and strategies?”

“I do what ever it takes cousin, I’ve been doing some research Maya, seems your Major is a single man, and you know what kind of affect I have on men cousin,” she almost snarled.

Maya smiled at the thought, she knew the Major wasn’t the type to be easily persuaded but she offered no words, better Jade find out on her own, she would try either way. She changed the subject, “I stopped by my parents house during the invasion Jade, I found my mother and her boyfriend, dead, I do not recall the bane ever using kitchen knives to finish off their victims,” she paused, recalling the bodies covered in blood, “you, wouldn’t happen to know what happened to them would you, cousin,” the word cousin cutting a line like a diamond across a pane of glass.

Jade’s mouth open wide as if to say something but the words did not come. Maya held her position, she could tell by the silence she had hit the mark, she had kept her suspicions to herself since she believed Jade to have perished in the invasion, but now they had been confirmed.

“I don’t know what happened to them,” Jade said distressed, Maya could tell she had rattled her cousin as she prepared herself for the return blow.

Gathering her wits back together Jade now enraged retorted, “Oh dear cousin, if you only knew, you do want to know don’t you, why your father stopped talking to you after you finished college?”

Maya gripped the handle on her coffee cup tightly, awaiting the blow. Jade gathered herself up, ready to step out the door, “He found out the truth Maya, found out that your mother had cheated on him, you are not his daughter Maya, I am,” with that she was gone.

Maya stunned for a moment replayed the words in her head, they would be the truth, Jade if for nothing always used the truth to hurt someone, it was much more permanent than falsehoods, she was also deliberate in her speech, the words, “I am” replaying in Maya’s head, that could mean only one thing, her father was still alive.

Jade slid back into the darkness quite pleased with herself, she knew she had just turned her cousin’s world upside down, just what she wanted and she always got what she wanted.

To many things fit into place, Jade must be telling the truth Maya pondered quietly, it was hours after she had confronted Maya and then vanished into the night. By Jade’s own words the Admiral was not Maya’s real father, with much resolve she pushed this to the back of her mind, while Jade always used to truth to cut her deepest wounds Maya could not bring herself to believe it without real proof. More importantly at the moment Jade had used the present tense when talking about her father, if nothing else, her cousin was always very careful with her words and it could mean only one thing, he was still alive. Maya continued to fill out paperwork, sleep was definitely out of the question and it helped her keep her thoughts straight in her head. Without knocking Corporal Owens walked in and nonchalantly took a seat in front of Maya’s desk.

“What are you doing up this late Corporal?”

“You know me Capt’n, I’m a night owl,” she pulled out a fresh cigar and started placed it in her mouth, “I think the real question is, what are you doing up so late?”

“Personnel paperwork is never done Corporal,” she responded and paused, “what are you working on currently?”

“Not much Ma’am, just a few transfers to complete and recruits to shuffle around,” Owens answered, drawing in closer as she could tell the Captain was leading on to something.

“Drop those in Corporal Zhogun’s lap, I need your help with a special project,“ Maya continued, “I need you to search the AFS data records for any mention of a Randle Rasmussen, I don’t think I need to mention to keep this to yourself.”

Knowing Maya all to well the Corporal nodded, “I understand Ma’am,” she knew it would be tricky and painstaking to search all those records, not to mention, difficult to keep quiet, but Owens knew what to do and how to do it. "But Ma'am, Why would you want to dig up the past on your father?"

Without looking up to avoid eye contact Maya responded, "It may not be the past Corporal, I think he might be alive."

Jade turned down her comm once she heard the door close smiling to herself, the bug she had placed was working clearly and the video feed was excellent. Maya was doing exactly what she was hoping for, phase one was a go, Jade thought gleefully as she walked to the local tavern, break her spirit, break her.

[Two weeks later]

With purpose Maya stepped into the Major’s office and centered herself in front of his desk, “Sir, my fath…”

Major Bowen raised his hand to stop her, “I know, I had to authorize some of Corporal Owens’ queries, permission granted.”

“Thank you Sir,” Maya spun off her heel and headed out the door.

“Captain,” the Major’s address stopping her in her tracks, “Come back in one piece, the Battalion needs you.”

Her back still to him a smile of appreciation etched itself across her lips, without so many words she knew what he meant, this was no physical battle she was about to face, but one far more dangerous, “Aye Aye Sir,” she responded in Marine Corps fashion and continued on her way.

It had been a long cramped flight, she had never heard of this place before and for good reason, it was no where near the combat zones. She approached his room, the door was open and she could hear the steady beeping sound of the EKG keeping track of his heartbeat. As she entered the room she could not believe her eyes the man on the bed was so thin and sunken, not at all like the picture of her father she had in her head.

She approached the bed and put her hand on his wrinkled and frail arm, “Father, she said lightly, tentatively,” a moment of truth, she was almost too scared to begin. He stirred a bit but remained asleep, “Father,” she repeated louder.

Groggily and without opening his eyes he asked, “Maya?”

A tear rolled down her cheek, here was the man she had idolized all her life, laying helpless and quite possibly dying before her, “Yes father, I am here.”

He put his other hand on hers and looked at her, the beat of the EKG increasing slightly, “You’ve grown so much,” his eyes smiled, “I am sorry Maya.”

“For what father,” she asked with a lump in her throat and a dull pain in her stomach.

“For everything,” he said between coughing, “for not being the father I should have been. Maya tried to interrupt him but he continued, “Maya, there comes a point in everyone’s life when they look back and see all the mistakes we’ve made, I have been reliving those mistakes for the past 3 months,” the EKG beeps continued to increase slowly as he continued to talk.

Maya could offer nothing in return as much as she had idolized and made excuses for him, he was never there when she had needed him most. “Father, Jad…” she was cut off by Randle’s coughing as his EKG spiked.

“Jade,” he repeated her name, “she came to see you too, didn’t she?”

Maya nodded.

“I’m sure she told you then,” he continued between coughs, “did she tell you?”

Maya nodded again, the words still stuck in her throat and her eyes welling up.

“Maya did I ever tell you about my older brother,” he asked pausing a moment while her head shook no in response. “Scott was a fine Marine Captain; loyal, brave, commendable, he was the most honorable man I knew, and I loved him dearly.” “While I was still young lieutenant he was killed in action in during the First Gulf War, I was devastated, as was his wife,” a coughing fit interrupted him, “we found solace in each other for a short while, it wasn’t until after I had married your mother that I found out that my brother’s widow was pregnant, I am sure you can figure out the rest,” the EKG’s pace quickened slightly.

Maya nodded, her cheeks wet with the lines of tears that had begun their course down them.

“When you commissioned into the Marines instead of the Navy it brought many of those memories back,” he started again, “I confronted your mother about it and did not go well, in anger she told me that you were not mine and I realized the truth my eyes should have been telling me all these years.” “I didn’t come to grips with it until recently, I couldn’t bare face you, it seems even through all my military service, I am a coward after all.”

The tears began to flow freely from her eyes as the truth was confirmed, she shook her head in disbelief but she couldn’t deny it.

As the beeping started to race a nurse dashed into the room and told Maya she needed to leave.

The EKG began to spike again has he could see her agitation, “Maya, I want you to understand something, if bringing Jade into this world damns me, then being your father, even if in name only, redeems me, and if I had my choice,” his words broke off into coughing as his heart began to race.

An orderly grabbed her by her shoulders and started to try and push her towards the door.

Maya looked at her father as he squeezed her hand hard, not relinquishing his grip, “Maya, all these years you spent your life idolizing me and trying be more like me,” he said as another coughing fit wracked his body and he choked up some blood, “I realize now, that it was I that should have been idolizing you, just like my brother.”

Maya was forced out of the room, the sounds of the hospital staff muted around her as they brushed past and for the second time she felt her world spinning out of control.

Dressed in a nurses uniform Jade quietly made her way out of the hospital, she couldn’t help feeling pleased with herself, everything was going as planned.
"Laws are silent in time of war." Cicero 106 - 43 BC
M.A. Rasmussen, Major
149th ARC, Commanding

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
Re: Kissing Cousins - Maya Rasmussen
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2008, 12:44:07 AM »
Can we have chapter 2 at all? That is defiantely a nice story about someone not being nice :D
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Maya Rasmussen

• Recruit
    • Nightstalkers
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2008, 02:43:59 AM »
Can we have chapter 2 at all? That is defiantely a nice story about someone not being nice :D

Well actually, chapter two got steam rolled into becoming an event upcoming on Cassie within a month or so, but I'll definitely write a story about what happens.
M.A. Rasmussen, Major
149th ARC, Commanding

Offline Maya Rasmussen

• Recruit
    • Nightstalkers
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2008, 06:33:09 PM »
Oops sorry part 5 coming soon I just need to get it revised
M.A. Rasmussen, Major
149th ARC, Commanding

Offline Maya Rasmussen

• Recruit
    • Nightstalkers
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2008, 10:00:27 PM »
Maya sat at attention her face set in stoic stone as two men flanked her, their faces near hers yelling.  Their voices had lost distinction, she didn’t hear the words just a constant droning sound in the back of her head.  She had answered their questions when she had first arrived but that wasn’t good enough for them, minutes, no hours had passed since and time lost all meaning as the interrogation continued.  She continued counting tiny imperfections in the metal plates that made up the walls, one hundred thousand two hundred and twenty three.  One of the men, the short one, stepped out and the other sat at the table in front of her, he was much older than his partner, his mouth continued to move but no discernable sound was emitted.  Maya could still hear the sound of the EKG beeping over her fathers, no, Randle’s words clearly in her head as if he had left an audible imprint of himself.  One hundred thousand two hundred and seventy five.  Visibly annoyed the man across the table threw a wad of paper at her which bounced of her shoulder and into obscurity  He stood up violently causing his chair to slam against the wall and walked out.  One hundred thousand three hundred and one.

One hundred thousand forty two hundred and three. The men re-entered the room, and placed a glass of water and what looked like a Twinkie in front of her.  She was famished, but she didn’t move.  They began to speak again but the voices remained in decipherable, they were both disheveled, ties loosened, shirts untucked, hair in disarray, and highly agitated.  The old one slumped in the chair his hands motioning at her as if to plead, while the short one circled behind her, and into that obscurity out of her field of vision.  Something slammed into the side of her head hard enough to almost knock her off her chair, her left ear rang painfully and she could feel a trickle of blood running down her neck.  The old man’s face was almost purple as he continued to yell, she was struck again, this time on the shoulder, the dull pain reaching down to her finger tips.  The old one turned toward the door and motioned for the short one to follow.  One hundred ten thousand and eleven.

One hundred ninety thousand and eighty five.  The water and Twinkie tempted her, calling for her to relieve her dehydration and hunger but she resisted, remaining unmoving and stoic.  Her throat was dry and sore, with time so lost she couldn't remember the last time she had anything to drink or eat.  They were waiting for her will to break, waiting for her to need something from them, waiting to pounce on any sign of weakness, she could not allow that.   Two hundred thousand four hundred and ninety-two.  They entered again; both looked like they rested and had changed clothes, sitting in front of her they began to speak again but the words continued to be reflected by Maya's resolve and silence.   Two hundred thousand twelve hundred and thirty-two.  They continued to talk and yell, visibly becoming more and more agitated the anger in both their eyes flaring as her unflinching and unmoving body continued to stare at the wall.  Two hundred thousand thirty two thousand nine hundred and seven.   The short one stood up angrily gesturing at her and pounding on the table without effect, he circled around her.   She could feel the air move behind her and she braced herself as his hand came down on the uninjured side of her head, the blows repeated.  Two hundred seventy thousand one hundred and fifty-five.  She couldn’t feel the pain anymore but she could feel his hand hitting her flesh.  Two hundred eighty thousand eight hundred and fifty three.

The door slammed open and Major Bowen entered walking calmly but swiftly towards the short man, the older man stepped forward and began to object to the intrusion, the Major did not break stride and barreled through knocking him aside.  Bowen reached the short man just as he was about to deliver another blow and caught his arm mid-swing, with his free hand Bowen reached down and pulled the short mans sidearm from its holster.  Off-balanced the short man staggered back and stumbling fell hard on his back, the Major leveled the sidearm at the short man’s head. "Put out your hand," the Major commanded. 

Still stunned the man starred at the cold hard steel of his own pistol, the dark barrel of possible death felt as though it were digging a hole in his forehead preparing the way for the chambered round.  “Don’t make me tell you again," yelled the Major, frightened and breathing hard the short man extended the hand he had been hitting her with.  Bowen stomped hard and twisted his boot into the hand creating a sickening cracking sound to emanate over his pained scream. The old man, visibly frightened exited the room avoid the Major’s wrath. Two hundred thousand fifteen hundred and twelve.  Every muscle in her body protested as Maya stood up, the sounds of the room no longer indecipherable she could hear the Major’s clear command to the man who had been striking her.  The discipline she used to survive the two day interrogation now telling her she needed to act, it strained against her exhausted body and mind, extremely dehydrated and battered she rose slowly.

The Major stared at the short mans face, twisted in pain, his anger screaming to him to do more to injure this weasel of a man, he lifted the arm holding the pistol prepared to slam it into the man's head but felt Maya’s hand weakly attempt to restrain him, “Major let it go,” he looked up at her and reading the expression on her face he paused for a moment, "Major, let it go," she repeated.  The sense of calmness upon her face despite her two day ordeal quickly extinguished the fire in his eyes, he slowly nodded, "lets get you out of here Captain," he could tell she needed medical attention soon and anymore delay here would just make it worse.

Regaining a bit of his fire Major Bowen cleared a path through the CID stationhouse, the only fool enough to stand in his way was knocked off his feet by a stiff shoulder check.  They reached the Major's drop ship and he helped her aboard, the clerk that had been bowled over caught up, "Captain Rasmussen, you are hear by ordered to attended an Article 32 hearing, you have been accused of the wrongful death of Randle K. Rasmussen, any information you need is detailed in this summons,” he handed her the summons quickly and backed away from the Major’s return snarl.  Once the drop ship was in the air the Major turned to her, “What the hell happened Captain?”

Watching from an alcove a good distance away from the stationhouse, Jade watched Maya stumble her way out and with the laser microphone she was pointing at her, heard the clerk issue the summons.  As if a little girl on Christmas day Jade couldn’t contain her joy clapping excitedly.  This was going to be a very good year.
M.A. Rasmussen, Major
149th ARC, Commanding