Author Topic: Military Surplus 101 - Taking them for creds and the shirt off their backs.  (Read 12255 times)

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
Thats whats you get for stepping into my zone ;)
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
Thats whats you get for stepping into my zone ;)

lol what cracks me up is when people try to undercut you.  The market is still so depressed at the moment that its still very cheap to buy them out and resell at your old price.  Id guesstimate prices need to jump to a good 10 times what they are before it settles properly.... till then the people with the most patience win out, as theyll just keep buying out the competition and stocking at a higher price.

Case in point.... i bought out control around 75% of one market last night, and made a pretty sizable margin in trades during the day on my initial investment.... i didnt even notice the cost of buying out anyone that undercut me to restock at a higher price.... item costs just arent "painful" enough yet
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008, 08:06:47 PM by Delusion »

www.piratesoup.net - Games, movies and randomness.

Offline Archguru

• Lance Corporal
What boggles my mind is the number of items that I see on sale for essentially what is the MSRP.  The price the the MS recommends for you seems to be exactly what you can sell it for to a vendor.  Anyone who lists at this price is automatically losing money due to the MS fee.  And yet there are reams of weapons and armor listing for this price.

I wonder if the supply can be reduced if these items are purchased and sold to the vendor for essentially no loss in credits.  Then you can relist higher on come more common items without have a depressed market.

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
I feel vendoring an item I don't need or can use is throwing the item out of the game. So I will put it up on the MS incase there is someone that could use it. Since I not one for make a lot of money on the MS but would like some more than vendor price. I will price items that I have not modded at 10% increase for green, 15% for blue and 20% for purple which I consider is a fair price.
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline Archguru

• Lance Corporal
Tested this last night, and I was correct.  Items sold at the base cost can be purchsed from the MS and resold to vendors with no loss in total credits.

The means that the following two statements are absolutely true:

If you sell on the MS for the price suggested by MS, then you are losing money on the transaction fee

Item supply can be reduced to generate a better market for prices by removing and reselling item posted at the MSRP

In general people are not making any money on quest reward items on MS.  Most of them are at the MSRP.  Some are only 50 - 100 credits more than then MSRP.

Offline Robovski

• Recruit
Complicating factors since the new patch:

1. You can now only have so many auctions open (I'm working on finding out what that is, right now I have too many to list new ones). You cannot make new auctions without either cancelling auctions to below your limit or waiting for the sales to be bought or expire. Edit: Having read the patch notes - duh - it's 30.  ::)
2. You can only have so many items received without moving them to your pack (whuch was a handy way of keeping bought goods for specific toons). You cannot buy anything unless you have enough room (seems to be a couple dozen items at most) for the new item in the received area.

These two factors make it harder to 'make' a market if there are a lot of items in that market i.e. buying up paint schematics and reselling at a higher price as you can now only have so many open sales auctions and can't hold onto a large inventory. Buying up items at base cost to sell to a merchant (burn) is still worthwhile to help the bottom end of the market.

I had recently moved from just paint schematics into armor as well and now I'm thinking I'll have to burn a lot of inventory (paint scematics first as I have a load of them, then residual purple quest items bought cheap) or dump large lots so I can start 'trading' again on a more focused inventory.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 01:36:01 PM by Robovski »

Offline Deyer

• Recruit
Thanks for this guide. Despite only playing for 3 days, the information here was enough for me to brave the MS and see if I can make some money.

I put a variety of weapons, armour and components on last night... somewhere in the region of 20 or so auctions. I guess I'll see when I get home tonight if anything sold.

I did get one sale last night I think, atleast there was a credit token thing in the 'get items' tab. Is it just me or does it not actually tell you what sold, just dumps the cash on you? I must say, that'll make it hard to keep track of what prices are right and which can go up/down.

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
You're notified in chat what item has been sold. And yes, that makes it rather hard to keep track of what sells and what doesn't ^^

As a rule of thumb, don't try and sell Green items, as credits still come cheap and the choice between Blue and Green Items is usually just a 100% markup (i.e. 1K or 2K at your level range), so Blue is the best bang for the buck imho. Armor with +Total Armor still is in high demand, Regen (<X>) is worthwhile as well. Since patch 1.5, Armor with mods to Basic Stats are in demand as well, don't bother with derived stats though (Health / Power). For Weapons, Steal Schematics sell nicely too, as well as Crit, Armor Piercing and Threat Reduction (sometimes). When offering items with resistances, keep in mind the use of resistance depends on the mobs encountered at a certain level range. For example, Fire Resist hardly becomes an issue until a player hits plains somewhere between 25 and 30.

As far as schematics go: (Reduce) Resistance hardly is worth the trouble but the rest usually is. If you try and sell general schematics (for Armor or Weapon, instead of Grenade Launcher or Stealth Armor) the going rate is about 500-2K per schematic, whereas I've had a hard time selling specific schematics at 250 (or lower). As upgrading mods can require multiple tries, I usually place a cap at stacks of 4-6 schematics to keep the price low enough to sell, yet not run out too fast on MS slots (you can only have 30 auctions running at any old time).
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Offline Deyer

• Recruit
Nice tips... much thanks  :D

I think I turned most of my greens in to components. Most of those seemed to be significantly more valuable (although whether they sell is yet to be seen).

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
Well, if you consider the component list I drew as a starting point and combine that with the hints regarding Schematics I just gave you, you should be able to figure out which mods are more likely to sell ;) Good luck!
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Offline Ataxia

• Recruit
hey guys I know this post is a little old but its been useful...just one question though....

I broke down a load of greens into components, and saved decent looking schematics, but when I go to Military surplus they aren't on my list to sell.

Any ideas please??
There are only 10 types of people in this world....
Those that understand binary and those that don't.

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
did you pick up the components from the crafting machine? ALSO, you can change tabs on the Military surplus sales page (you can flick between weapons/armour, crafting, consumables and random junk (sorry cant spell miscillanious right now) on the right hand side of the MS window.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Apsalar

• Bringer of updates
  • Corporal
did you pick up the components from the crafting machine? ALSO, you can change tabs on the Military surplus sales page (you can flick between weapons/armour, crafting, consumables and random junk (sorry cant spell miscellaneous right now) on the right hand side of the MS window.

miscellaneous, like that :P   but agreed nice informative thread ;D

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
tbh, EYES OPEN = i win ...
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Ataxia

• Recruit
ALSO, you can change tabs on the Military surplus sales page (you can flick between weapons/armour, crafting, consumables and random junk (sorry cant spell miscillanious right now) on the right hand side of the MS window.

aaah thats what I was doing wrong....i knew it was me just being blind again

cheers, much appreciated

:):):)
There are only 10 types of people in this world....
Those that understand binary and those that don't.