Author Topic: Having trouble connecting to game?  (Read 18618 times)

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
Having trouble connecting to game?
« on: October 29, 2007, 11:05:36 PM »
Connection problems are always the hardest problems to solve. The reason for this , is that there are many variables involved in the process.

Local PC hardware
Local PC software (Client, Firewall, anti-virus, Other security monitoring programs, etc)
router or modem
If on another network Network Router.
packet Filter rules.
ISP
Routing tables and connectivity path to server(Referred to as Hops)
Server gateway
Game Server
Game Server Software.

A problem in any combination of these areas can prevent you from playing the game and solving the problem is going to require you and others to ACTIVELY work on the problem.

Things you can do:
1. Always open a ticket with Support. They can not work a problem if they are unaware it exists.
2. Actively follow up with support. Support will require additional information as well as things you need to do to help resolve the issue.

The follow are things support may have you do to isolate the cause:

3. Check that your firewall, anti-virus, router is not blocking both the launcher and game client from connecting to the internet.
Firewalls and anti-virus programs will sometime reflag a updated (patched) program as new and will block it until you give authorization to access the internet. Sometimes these prompts are located behind the game screen and the program will be locked until you answer the security prompts.

4. Check that you don't have any content restricting software blocking access to the servers. Programs like PeerGuardian and Windows Content Advisor can prevent access to the NCSoft servers.

5. You may have an outdated DNS cache so the address for the servers are incorrect.
   a. Click on start
   b. click on run
   c. Type ipconfig /flushdns
   d. Click on ok
This will clear your DNS cache.

6. Check that your router/modem is set to allow the ports the game uses. This is specially important if you are on a Network that the Network Adminastration may not be aware what is required for the game.

Ports:
TCP 80
TCP UDP 2106
TCP UDP 8001
TCP UDP 8101 to 8104
TCP 7777 ,  7790 (Edited : These ports required been confirmed by a Dev Friday update post)
UDP ports 7780-7784
These are Server side ports.

Like I said before the above Items are things Support may have you check so be proactive and check while you are waiting for support to respond to your open ticket request.

Each game and network server to client connections are different. They all use different ports and data protocals. Just because one game or program works does not mean there is not something preventing another from working.

PACKET FILTERING:

Special note here on Packet Filtering. PAcket filtering is used to:
1. Control overall network performance
2. Restrict or block undesireable traffic.

Overall network performance is done my giving packets and ports priorities. During Peak network traffic Higher Priority traffic is given first access to bandwith. Lower priority packets/ports are delayed or routed to less used(longer travel time) routing paths. This ensure critical and high paying traffic (HTTP, Web pages, FTP, VIOP ) continues with out delay at the expense of lesser  traffic(gaming, music transfers).

Undesirable traffic - With the effort to control or restrict P2P file transfers may ISP and Networks are blocking ports that they beleive is being used to upload undesireable files or excessive uploads. Comcast is infact disconnecting connections they beleive are being used for P2P server transfers.

If you have high pings or unable to connect during cetain times of the day your ISP or network may be using packet filtering  that may have idientifed the gaming packet as low priority. If all ports are open and you can not connect your gaming packets may have been identified as P2P traffic by mistake.

Either case you will need to contact your ISP or Network admin to resolve. It would be best if you can get them to talk directly to NCSoft support.

Tools:

Here are some tools you can use to help Identify where the connection problem is.

NCSoft Nettool: This is a tool NCSoft support gives out to check your network. It will print a report text file you can send to support. Limitations: The tool will only check Authorization server and port 2106. No connection to the Game servers or ports.

ftp://ftp.playtr.com/support_tool/netinfotool_allOS_USEU.exe

wireshark - this is a packet sniffer program. You can use this program to look at the packets travelling on your network/PC connection to see if you are actually sending to and receiving packets from the game server.

http://www.wireshark.org

edited: Updated ports listing.

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008, 10:10:15 PM by PegasusMD »
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline Opalstar

• Recruit
  • Umbra Tutela Clan, Pegasus
Re: Having trouble connecting to game?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 08:07:02 PM »
*from above*

6. Check that your router/modem is set to allow the ports the game uses. This is specially important if you are on a Network that the Network Adminastration may not be aware what is required for the game.

Ports:
TCP 80
TCP UDP 2106
TCP UDP 8001
TCP UDP 8101 to 8104
TCP 7777 ,  7790 (Edited : These ports required been confirmed by a Dev Friday update post)
These are Server side ports.

How do you do this ??
*Loving wife of Majestar*
*Umbra Tutela Clan*
*Pegasus Server*

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 10:04:54 PM »
Based on your other posts, I don't thing the problem is your router since you were able to connect before and you have not made any changes to it's operation. I think your problem is Hughes proxy servers it uses to allow it' s satellite system to work. They are the ones that need to adjust their routers to allow undelay filtering of those posrts to the NCSoft servers.

Offline Opalstar

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 11:23:00 PM »
I have no idea what to say to hughes net to get them to fix this if this is there problem. and I can connect when the servers are low/med its when its at high I cant connect. So it might be the game severs cant handle the stress of all the people. there sounds like there is alot of lag issues too.
*Umbra Tutela Clan*
*Pegasus Server*

Offline Opalstar

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 11:40:48 PM »
ok well I contacted hughes net and this is the chat transcript

Nov 18 2007 6:30:36 PM] Welcome to our chat customer support .
[Nov 18 2007 6:30:40 PM] , you have been connected to Arelene
Arelene(Nov 18 2007 6:30:50 PM): , thank you for contacting
 HughesNet Technical Support. My name is Arelene and I appreciate the
 opportunity to assist you.
Arelene(Nov 18 2007 6:31:38 PM): No there have been no changes made
 from our end as far as packet filtering is considered.
tomasina(Nov 18 2007 6:31:52 PM): has hughes net changed there
 filtering on packets in the last week ?
Arelene(Nov 18 2007 6:32:25 PM): No we have not made any kind of
 changes
tomasina(Nov 18 2007 6:32:26 PM): ok how would i check if certain ports
 are open when using hughes net ?
Arelene(Nov 18 2007 6:33:12 PM): All the ports are open and accessible,
 hughes has not blocked any ports.
tomasina(Nov 18 2007 6:33:55 PM): ok well ty for your time
Arelene(Nov 18 2007 6:34:26 PM): Thank you for contacting hughesnet
 technical support have a great day.

Soooo it doesnt seem like it is hughes net unless I asked the wrong questions, or the lady is lying to me.

*Umbra Tutela Clan*
*Pegasus Server*

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 11:44:16 PM »
If you cant connect when its high, whilst other people can then i would say its more likely to be to your ISP than anything else. Also if you notice, when you are able to login it could well be outside the hours of 'traffic shaping'.

The ISPs here in the UK tend to runa traffic shaping rule during times of heavy load (ie the peak hours of about 5pm - 11pm, but that can vary from ISP to ISP) which can make playing the game hard.

*edit* Sorry but after reading that transcript, i would say that the ISP is talking out of their ^&*. ALthough they technically might not be lying (ie the provision for packet shaping was already implemented, they just changed a few rules concerning it), definately looks like its a case of NCsoft to notify them about their game.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 11:47:06 PM by Gangrel »
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Aiden Taan

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2007, 06:04:06 PM »
I've been interested in TR for quite a while now, but for some reason (my laziness he he) I forgot about Beta etc. When they released it, I pondered the idea of buying it but... I decided to delay it a bit further and wait for trial. Shame to admit, it was a good call.

Meanwhile I read couple of the local forums on TR, just to see what's up. To my surprise I heard a lot of people (using same ISP as I do) saying they can't play. They gave various various reasons for that, but stubbornish as I am, I decided to give it a go. Registered here today and got the key in an instant (thanks again!)

After installing the game however, all I got was... server sending request. (on Low and Medium server activity)

I checked the forum solutions, applied them and now it's significantly better - I can log in to Pegasus, but it disconnects me after 15-40 seconds.

I haven't sent tracert results to NCSoft and/or my ISP and see what could they offer me yet. But I'm somewhat sceptical over it.

I'm just dissapointed. I wanted to try it out so much I was willing to risk simply buying the game (basing on few reviews really) and now I see it would be a mistake. =/

Well, I'll update my post tomorrow after talking to both supports.
You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2007, 07:12:39 PM »
Who is your ISP btw?
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Offline Aiden Taan

• Recruit
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2007, 08:25:08 PM »
Chello.
You see things; and you say 'Why?' But I dream things that never were; and I say 'Why not?'

Offline tsaris

• Recruit
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2007, 12:12:31 AM »

After installing the game however, all I got was... server sending request. (on Low and Medium server activity)

I checked the forum solutions, applied them and now it's significantly better - I can log in to Pegasus, but it disconnects me after 15-40 seconds.

I haven't sent tracert results to NCSoft and/or my ISP and see what could they offer me yet. But I'm somewhat sceptical over it.

I'm just dissapointed. I wanted to try it out so much I was willing to risk simply buying the game (basing on few reviews really) and now I see it would be a mistake. =/

I got very similar results me too. I have been able to enjoy few hours ofd play especially late at night but not mandatory. Thengetting disconnected after 1 min or 2.

Aiden Taan  i would like to compare my txt files results of netinfotool_allOS_USEU.exe with you. Could you contact me in private :)

I have tried everything listed in this forum and also the dumb suggestion of nc support.

Hosted by telebec.

I have contacted my isp nothing useful from them. In short they dont block anything but something wierd they are not able to piong server

are you guys able to ping 216.107.244.7???   us server

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2007, 01:01:10 AM »
most gaming server farms blocks ICMP which ping is part of.
Connecting but then getting disconnected after a few minutes is usually  indication of excessive packet delays and lost of packets. After to much delay or excessive number of retires to send packets server will reset connections.

This is usually caused by poor configured routing  or heavey packet /traffic shaping. (if ports were blocked you would not connect at all)

Offline dewayne29

• Recruit First Class
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2007, 01:33:06 AM »
any word bout the hughes problem?

Offline Dalabrae

• Recruit
  • RavenWulfe Templars, on Orion.
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2007, 03:19:30 PM »
I ca'na play! :'(

Launched TR, update checks, accept user agreement, splash screen pops then I get an error message:

"Tabula Rasa could not toggle to full screen mode. Please set your video options to a valid display mode"

Only changes I've made to my system since I was last on is to disconnect the 40" 'monitor' and the 5.1 surround (am about to move house).  Have booted up the laptop and it still happily launches and connects fine. I remember playing with the Video Quality setting last time I played, setting it to Very High, but am not even able to get to the screen to bring up the options to change this back. Can't remember what my resolution is set at on this pc atm.

Is there a way to change these options without loading the game?
Sorry, I know it's a little different to the above connection problems.
Fides et Justitia

The Universe is on Orion's Belt

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2007, 03:35:07 PM »
open up client.cfg file and look for the line Client.FullScreen = True and alter it to read False.
6) BLOG ME!

Offline tsaris

• Recruit
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2007, 04:12:06 PM »
most gaming server farms blocks ICMP which ping is part of.
Connecting but then getting disconnected after a few minutes is usually  indication of excessive packet delays and lost of packets. After to much delay or excessive number of retires to send packets server will reset connections.

This is usually caused by poor configured routing  or heavey packet /traffic shaping. (if ports were blocked you would not connect at all)

thanx you for your answer. results with ncsoft diag tool and wireshrak seems to confirm that (excessive packet delays and lost of packets)

I will have to bother again my ISP. :)