Author Topic: PlayNC Launcher frozen, testing background download capabilities  (Read 10364 times)

Offline quantum790

• Recruit
Help plz,

I just got the game and installed it no problem but....the Plaync launcher will not download anything. it just say "testing background download capabilities"

I've downloaded the leatest launcher installed it and still the same problem. I've opended all the ports that are required even turned off my firewall and antivirus software but it is just stuck with the yellow bar just under the "g" in "testing".

Is there any way of updating the game without the plaync launcher and playing the game?

thx for any help.

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
Re: PlayNC Launcher frozen, testing background download capabilities
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:30:24 PM »
You need the launcher to play.  What OS are you using?  Do you have all the windows BITS enabled? Where did you get the game from? Bought a game box, d/l it from a site , if from a site what site?
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline quantum790

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:41:11 PM »
I have vista home premium (32bit), i have the boxed ed, got it from game uk (physical shop).

how do i enable BITS and what should it look like when i do? i.e. on/off?

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2008, 10:03:19 PM »
One of the biggest problems with installs  and runing the launcher under Vista is the security setting mess things up. I'm not familer with VIsta so will let Teskon  answer there on how to set things. Also you can have problems if you have a corrupted .Net install.  (Will need to uninstall all .Net versions and reinstall from Microsoft web site at least .Net 2.0 and all updates)

Also you can try to unistall the game and launcher , delete all game folders.  and download the installer from plaync. It would be s new version that the version on the DVD  so would not have as far to update.
I don't have the d/l url right now as I'm at work but sure someone will post it.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 10:07:35 PM by PegasusMD »
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline quantum790

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2008, 10:14:55 PM »
Well i got it working it seemed BITS was on automatic (delayed setting thing) changed it to normal automatic, restart computer and now i'm updating the game yay.

Thank you for telling me about BITS i would never of thought of that, you deserve a pay rise :)

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 10:42:59 PM »
vista does not make any problems with it's security ... but if you make the mistake a lot of people do and disable certain parts of the uac and start installations that require admin-rights but do not get them because of you disabled the question for and would now have to start it manually "run as administrator" ... it's not vista's fault =)

muh, what a sentence ... hope it's somewhat correct
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Ronnan

• Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2009, 12:59:33 PM »
Well i got it working it seemed BITS was on automatic (delayed setting thing) changed it to normal automatic, restart computer and now i'm updating the game yay.

Thank you for telling me about BITS i would never of thought of that, you deserve a pay rise :)

Necro'd this thread to say thanks, as this sorted out my problem too. It's weird, the launcher worked fine, and then, one day, I'm unable to connect. Setting my BITS to normal automatic cured this. Gonna see if this has fixed my problems with downloading Aion patches as well.