Author Topic: why no character server transfer  (Read 4371 times)

Offline The Sleepless

• Recruit
  • Sleep is for the weak
why no character server transfer
« on: August 07, 2008, 03:44:59 AM »
why doesnt the game have character trancfer form one server to another

i play on Orion and most of my friends now play on Pegasus, some might say just make a new char but i say Why should i . iworked hard on my toons and dont feel like do all that over again ,

if you agree or disagree let me know

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
Re: why no character server transfer
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2008, 05:53:05 AM »
Are you talking about transferring ALL your characters or just ONE character? Each of these have their own problems... more than likely due to how the information is likely to be stored in Destination Games databases.

1) If you just mean a character transfer, what happens to all the items that you left behind in the footlocker? Or if you left 1 item behind in it? An account transfer gets around this problem...

2) What happens if you already have a character on the other servers? This obviously then messes up a *total* transfer seeing as you would already have your name chosen for you on the NEW server... and if its a different last name which characters would you rename? The ones already there or the ones coming over? (*note*: I do know people who have had to take different last names on different servers because someone already took it)

3) Friends list would more than likely be deleted... you cannot guarentee that the Last names on one server are referring to the same person the other servers.

4) If they only offered the *total* transfer, what happens if you dont have enough slots on the incoming server to accomodate your new characters? What happens if you dont have enough space in your footlocker? Which items get lost and which ones stay?

Those are just a few slight (or in some cases MAJOR) problems that i can see arising and would have to be resolved before they would even consider offering server transfers.

Then you have the pricing of it... and if it would be for ALL your characters to get transferred over or just the ONE character.

City Of Heroes has just introduced server transfers into their game, and they do it on a character by character basis. They also offer the ability to buy additional character slots as well... but do note that this is a new thing for them and after 4 years now (from US release) its only just come in. (Its 5.99 for a single character transfer compared to 15 for a single World of Warcraft Character transfer.. granted the WoW transfer does also allow between different accounts as well). I do believe that SOE (Sonly Online Entertainment of StarWars Galaxies, Everquest, Everquest 2 fame) charge quite a bit more for this privilidge.

1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
Re: why no character server transfer
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2010, 09:51:17 AM »
That's what I call a necrobot!
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>