Author Topic: An Open Letter From General British  (Read 8634 times)

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
An Open Letter From General British
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:51:17 PM »
Fellow Soldiers of the AFS,

I am happy to finally be able to write the players and community of Tabula Rasa. We've been on quite a journey together. First in creating a game unlike any other on the MMO market, then growing a loyal community and finally launching the game and its players into space with Operation Immortality. It has been quite an unforgettable journey, one that I will treasure for the rest of my life.

I am very grateful to you loyal players for sticking around through what I think we can all honestly say was a rough launch. I thank the development team for pushing hard to get polish, updates and new content out every month since launch...a feat that I think is unusual in MMO development. They have a lot to be proud of.

Many of you probably wonder what my plans are, now that I have achieved the lifelong dream of going to space. Well, that unforgettable experience has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to. As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests.

This news is difficult for me to deliver. I am honored to have worked with the team I've had and I'm grateful to the community who makes this game so unique and fun.

Thank you and farewell.

Richard "General British" Garriott
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
Re: An Open Letter From General British
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:06:36 PM »
and finally launching the game and its players into space
Yes! off the earth with them, good riddance and hope none of those [censored] make it back!
...hey!? Hang on a second, ain't I one of those [censored]?

I feel dumped...
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:45:44 AM by System_Crush »
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 10:22:55 PM »
indeed you are.

Tis a shame to see you leave General British.
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 10:58:42 PM »
can it be the beginning of the end or just anothe milestone? Whould be nice to hear from devs, if there are plans beyond the getting back to the earth.

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 11:05:24 PM »
I would imagine that this friday would come with more information.....
6) BLOG ME!

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 11:14:04 PM »
The only hope is that NCsoft will not ditch a hen, witch makes a golden eggs ;-)

Offline smooth

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Say Hello to my new Girl!
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 01:34:36 AM »
can it be the beginning of the end

Got one phrase for you....

"Uh Oh"

Not a good sign when the "Creator" decides to jump ship.

This game has to support itself..as NC has proven in the past.  If "Dick" ain't onboard to push and prod....

But, we have at least 3 more months of updates and 6(minimal) til they would shut down the game.

Not worried yet, but you would think he would be a Bit more Specific about what is going on...course It is one year since game launched. 
Someone has an attitude!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 01:39:41 AM »
i always thought the captain is the last one to leave a sinking ship ... not the first one
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Lomez

• N/A ON TEST SERVER >:D
  • Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 01:52:30 AM »
Who knows if Garriott has even been all that involved in TR during the last year or not. He's been training for his space trip and spending a lot of time in Russia etc, and I've read both here and there that he isn't doing a lot of work on TR anymore. Maybe the dev team has been doing just fine "on its own", and will continue to do so.

One thing that I think is pretty certain though, is that the game will need a new title. Which would be a good opportunity to re-advertise the game I reckon.

Another thing that is certain is that all the trolls and TR haters is going to have a field day with these news though. I can't wait...
"Any problem solved is a new problem made. Don't solve problems." -Karl Pilkington

Currently grinding away in Aion. Estimation: 1657d 18h 10m 45s until max level.
Kwii!

Offline gurkoz

• Recruit
    • gurkoz!com
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 07:43:51 AM »
All i want to know is. How will this affect the game!? You would think that the creator, when leaving ship, would at least give us that. Pff!.

Im a new player and i really need some sort of future assurance if im going to put in more time and effort in this game!
Creation is an act of sheer will.

Offline Apsalar

• Bringer of updates
  • Corporal
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:40 AM »
Who knows if Garriott has even been all that involved in TR during the last year or not. He's been training for his space trip and spending a lot of time in Russia etc, and I've read both here and there that he isn't doing a lot of work on TR anymore. Maybe the dev team has been doing just fine "on its own", and will continue to do so..

QFT
I am totally not concerned over this news

Offline John Drdeath

• Lance Corporal
  • Drdeath is in the House, Lets Rave!
    • The dutch dragons II forum, nederlandstalige clan
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:46:51 AM »
Could be good news, Now they have more money to spend on TR itself..

But still nice that he gave me a barret last week....that I already had...twice...

I do hope the game will get better since I must say that I do like the whole idea behind it. And I dont want to be killing stupid dwarfs or elfs or other stupid creatures.

Take care British!!
Live Life, Die another day

Offline Avatea

• NCSoft Staff
  • Recruit First Class
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 01:30:09 PM »
Richard did step back a little while he was training and even though he was the creating force behind the game initially, Paul, Tom and now Susan have done a tremendous job at carrying his ideal forward and taking Tabula Rasa to new horizons! While I'm saddened to see him go, I know our current dev team is talented enough to continue improving the universe we love :)

Offline smooth

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Say Hello to my new Girl!
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 03:40:49 PM »
Richard did step back a little while he was training and even though he was the creating force behind the game initially, Paul, Tom and now Susan have done a tremendous job at carrying his ideal forward and taking Tabula Rasa to new horizons! While I'm saddened to see him go, I know our current dev team is talented enough to continue improving the universe we love :)

Agreed.  It is no where near a level  where I(or others) should be worried about the game.

I am sure that Richard hung around TR because NC helped get him in space.  And it was a great advertising stunt for the game.

And, maybe the way he has left, is a good thing.  If it had been a "fiery"-aggravated split, that definitely would Not have helped game.

But,

You do need someone with resources and vision (and clout) to keep things going.  (think on any business/empire model)

I am sure the Devs/Producers that are working on the game now are doing an outstanding job(I certainly think so).  But none of the have the name of

Richard Garriott

We all know, name recognition is a good thing.  Specially when they get Tv time *winks*
Someone has an attitude!

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 08:07:55 PM »
Ok? i hope for a better future of this game as well, though R.G> could have made a more elaborated letter..

"... and thanks for all the fish!" ;-)