Author Topic: An Open Letter From General British  (Read 8552 times)

Offline Allarian

• Recruit
Re: An Open Letter From General British
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2008, 01:51:45 AM »
I'm sorry to see you go British, and as it appears TR with you. I know you sunk a lot of money into going to space which was a life time dream and also into trying to help TR out. If I had the money I would ask to purchase the game and the rights from you and NCSoft and put it up as a free to play MMO. I wish you blessings in all your endeavors and God's best for your life. May he bless you richly.

I only joined the community a short while ago and have been unable to play for the last month because of financial issues, but I really wish NCSoft would reconsider as I finally found an MMO I liked playing and was definitely going to come back to it as soon as I possibly could. I hope that NCSoft will reconsider. God bless you.

Offline Dennin

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2008, 03:43:50 AM »
do any of you know what this really means. Richard Garrott is an incredible game designer. He created THE FIRST MMORPG what will happen to Ultima Online???????

Offline Lomez

• N/A ON TEST SERVER >:D
  • Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2008, 04:56:24 AM »
Hasn't Ultima Online been running just fine for many, many years without Garriott?

I think his heart just wasn't in it anymore, or at least not the sci-fi themed TR we have today. (When Garriott and his team first started working on TR, many years ago, it was pretty much a fantasy game, but they scrapped that idea completely a few years into the development). He was hardly involved in TR at all during the past year (he showed up ingame a couple of times, helped out at events and helped hosting the War College earlier this year, but that's pretty much it I think. As for the Operation Immortality project and all the publicity leading up to his space trip, how many times did he actually mention "Tabula Rasa"?

Garriott is getting a LOT of flak for supposedly leaving his game (his name is in the title!) just a week or two before the announcement was made that it's getting shut down. ("A captain never leaves his ship", as the saying goes). But I would like to think that he simply didn't know that the game was getting axed when he left (not so soon at least). If he did know, he should've stayed with the game for the final 3 months, and he would've avoided most of these accusations.

That's my take on it anyway.
"Any problem solved is a new problem made. Don't solve problems." -Karl Pilkington

Currently grinding away in Aion. Estimation: 1657d 18h 10m 45s until max level.
Kwii!

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2008, 06:53:00 PM »
Didn't Meridian 59 and Kingdom of the Winds predate Ultima Online by a significant margin?
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Offline smooth

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Say Hello to my new Girl!
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2008, 06:58:19 PM »
But, we have at least 3 more months of updates and 6(minimal) til they would shut down the game.

Damn I was close...(unfortunately)

As for him staying or leaving?  And if he knew?

I am sure he knew.

He leaves before the announcement, he can wash his hands of it....

He stays, well, it is a Failed game..how many has he had?

As of now, Everyone blames NC for canceling game.

Seems pretty smart on his part to me...course, he could have quit cause they told him they were canceling game, and wouldn't release it to him to sell to someone else...(add your own conspiracy theory here)
Someone has an attitude!