Author Topic: Open Source, please.  (Read 21302 times)

Offline Morgenstond

• Recruit
Re: Open Source, please.
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 07:42:36 PM »
/Signed

Read the news tonight...  :'(

Still a bit chocked

Offline Zacho

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2008, 12:06:07 AM »
/signed!

Offline Callasan

• Staff Sergeant
  • SPAAAAACE KAAYDET
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2008, 05:07:13 AM »
(I also posted this on PTR)

If the servers are going offline permanently, I would like to petition for the game to be made open source so that some of us who are capable of programming will be able to set up free servers and improve on what is currently available.

They could easily make it open source under GPL, assign the copyrights to NCSoft. Trademark the Tabula Rasa brand-name and artwork.

Even if they open sourced it under GPLv2 and required royalties, I'm willing to code and maintain a server.

Too bad it'll never happen.

Let's be honest, here.  Companies are in business to make money, not spread lightness and cheer.  NCSoft, in TR, has intellectual property that, thanks to a number of ill-based lawsuits and idiotic judges/juries,  has potential value FAR outstripping the development cost of the software itself.  I don't count hardware in that servers can ALWAYS be recucled later into other endeavours.

GPL is not a legally enforceable license, sadly - as the terms of thd GPL are just too broad.  Without something legally enforceable, the accountants over at NCSoft would have a (for lack of a better term) ****fit, as would the stockholders once they saw the annual report.  Anyone else comes out with a run 'n gun style MMO like TR would have to pony up some royalties - not likely, it's on such chances that IP lawsuits are based.

To be blunt, at this point NCSoft stood to potentially lose to much in potentual valye to ever release the source.  Companies like Volition could since they were getting out of the game business, and id could because too many people already had their engine, through licenses - they couldn't milk it any more.

Know that the "potential income" model is flawed - after all, it's what led tot he current US financial meltdown - but it's still one that many companies subscribe to - like Apple.

Which is why I say - nice thoguht, don't bet on it though,.
The Eternal Recruit - Proud Member of Black Marks Anonymous - and proud of it!

There's only one latrine in all the A!F!S!

Offline ortsa

• Recruit
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 07:23:22 PM »
Yeah, id love to see something like that!

Offline Alomax

• Recruit First Class
  • zootie zoot zoot
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2008, 05:56:28 AM »
/signed

This is not an unheard of concept. Something similar happened to one of my favorite games, 10Six.  The server source was kept by a guy, who now runs the game out of his garage.  That was almost a decade ago, and he is STILL running it, and people STILL pay for it.

www.10six.com / www.projectvisitor.com

VIVA LA TABULA RASA! :p

Offline ThorusCZ

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2008, 12:02:28 PM »
/signed

I've just registered on this forum just to sign this petition  :)
Please consider this option. Leave it Open Source...

Offline MiniReddish

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2008, 04:47:30 PM »
/signed.  Definitely by me.  I've just purchased this game from the store, and I'd hate to see it go.

Offline MaxiM

• Recruit
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2008, 06:50:41 PM »
/signed.

I've just bought the game and used my included month right before it went free. Grave news on main page doesn't make me too happy about the purchase. Not just because i wasted some cash, but because i was looking for a game like that for quite some time. I can't believe that this game isn't advertised properly  :-/

Offline The Sleepless

• Recruit
  • Sleep is for the weak
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2009, 09:43:06 PM »
/signed

Offline daryy

• Recruit
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2009, 02:48:41 AM »
 ;Di love the game too much to see it go downMercury AC Compressor - Discount AC Parts offers high quality, discount Mercury AC Parts for all Mercury Makes and Models.
Buy Mazda  OEM Parts and Mazda  Replacement Parts and Mazda  Performance Parts.We stock Mazda RX7 Parts and Accessories and offer free shipping on  US.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:41:51 PM by daryy »
We offer original mercedes parts! Find best prices for Mercedes Benz parts by browsing our complete catalog of discount Mercedes  parts

Offline daopa

• Recruit
    • DaOpa's Tabula Rasa FanSite
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2009, 11:09:18 PM »

I never understand how they dont keep 1 server up .. have it Free .. but with targetted ads  ...

or even put in a Mini Store / Micropay system for some item / recharges

~~~
DaOpa's FanSite - Databases: Crafting & Comps, Logos Locations, Enemies

Offline Sarina

• Recruit
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2009, 11:36:00 PM »
It this is the way to go, I put in a /signed as well.

Offline Callasan

• Staff Sergeant
  • SPAAAAACE KAAYDET
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2009, 02:30:53 AM »

I never understand how they dont keep 1 server up .. have it Free .. but with targetted ads  ...

or even put in a Mini Store / Micropay system for some item / recharges

~~~

Because it's really not as easy to do so as you think.

They'd have to modify the existing game code to allow automated insertion of items into footlockers.

They'd have to WRITE a microtransaction server, something that doesn't exist in any NCSoft game I've ever heard of.

That equals a LOT of programmer time spent, with programmers that make quite hefty salaries - if the investment can't be recouped in a reasonable amounbt of time (and from the appearances, reasonable for NCSoft is one year), it's not worth the investment - ESPECIALLY as no other NCSoft title existing or projected is going to need a microtransaction server.

TLDR version: Not practical - ain't gonna happen.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2009, 09:35:50 AM »
don't you have a lot of time and work for free, callasan ? see, you got a new hobby now ;)
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Callasan

• Staff Sergeant
  • SPAAAAACE KAAYDET
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2009, 02:26:15 PM »
don't you have a lot of time and work for free, callasan ? see, you got a new hobby now ;)

LOL - Lot of time, yes...disability tends to do that to peope, after all :)

As to programming?  I'm not a programmer - I was a hardware/software tech - a professional troubleshooter.  I can tell you what's WRONG with something - but not write it.

I have friends that can, though - and they tell me injecting microtransactions into TR would be a six month's project at best estimate - presuming that the game already has the ability to "inject" items (which it does, as the GMs have done repeatedly), and that the mechanism for injection is script-based.  Being that the game has no "mail" system, adding items becomes a bit more complex than just generating a in-game Email.

Modifying a existing transaction server to handle TR would take a bit, too - again, it's just not practical, givent he revenue NCSoft can expect from it.  Remember, under this scheme they wouldn't bet getting the monthly subs - which would result in a LOSS of revenue - in a game that already isn't making enough.

Notice that when Sony added their item store they KEPT their monthly subscription fee - for precisely that reason.

The free-to-play/microtransaction model just doesn't work UNLESS the game is designed around it fromt he get-go - the way that Guild Wars was designed around free-to-play.  Which typically means "lots of boilerplate instances, with no real persistent world".