Author Topic: Lags  (Read 2758 times)

Offline Duchan

• Recruit
Lags
« on: January 03, 2009, 05:14:21 PM »
Hello I have problems with lags. When I log in I can move etc but when I speak with vendor it takes a few sec to open a trade window. Also same with chat window. It takes a few sec again to send my message. Problems also with shooting - I can shoot with my shotgun but I still have full ammo. But sometimes I have no lags. Not sure why. Not sure if it is problem with my connection because if I log later I can play without problems. Maybe it is because is Sat?

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
Re: Lags
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2009, 06:24:25 PM »
If you are on a satellite connection (Hughes.net possibly?) then there is an inherant latency that can cause issues with the game.

When the game was 1st released (and for quite a while afterwards) players over satellite connections were unable to play the game at all.... but that has slowly improved into its current state. Its still not perfect but at least its playable at *some* points in time.

*edit* Looking back over your IP, i can see that you are actually in Europe, but the same rules still apply (it could also be that your ISP has a traffic shaping rule, and TR is getting caught up inside there, and so when the traffic shaping isnt in force the game plays "semi" fine, whilst when the ISP is in traffic shaping mode you get your current issues)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 06:26:21 PM by Gangrel »
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Duchan

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2009, 06:31:06 PM »
hm, so what can I do? I share my internet with another ppl - I think 1/10 so should I ask my provider for my own private connection? I have problem with TR only :( What I know they use microwave connection. Any solutions?

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2009, 05:07:22 AM »
As the issue only happens at certain times of day, then about all you can do is ask for you own dedicated connection (although this will come in with its own increase in cost as well).

Other MMO's might have already been taken into account with the ISP and allocated a case of "special preferance", that is though hard to say... it all depends on which MMO's you are referring to as in range of ports, transport protocol.

TR though CAN have quite a high download rate (normally when you load up a new shop etc) so that could be part of the reason (costs are stored on the server and NOT on the PC).

I think 1/10 so should I ask my provider for my own private connection?
That is the hard part though... it is all dependant on if they offer a dedicated service or not (and if so, what the related costs would be, and if you would be getting any higher speed overall). A dedicated line *might* not actually net you any increase in perfomance, it can definately help, but in the long run, it could actually be a case of your ISP hardline into the internet causing the issues, and not the fact that its a microwave link.... the ground over all of this is pretty damn strange though tbh.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Duchan

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2009, 10:18:04 AM »
more info

I have 4 MB download/768 Kbit upload

I can try to ask them if they have different with higher upload.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2009, 11:01:26 AM by Duchan »

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2009, 12:42:48 PM »
Unless you insist on torrenting at the same time as playing TR it should be enough.
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Duchan

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 12:51:34 PM »
Unless you insist on torrenting at the same time as playing TR it should be enough.

nope, I don't download anything I use my Opera only. Nothing else.