Author Topic: Problem with new graphic card  (Read 6331 times)

Offline Lomez

• N/A ON TEST SERVER >:D
  • Gunnery Sergeant
Problem with new graphic card
« on: January 28, 2009, 01:54:18 AM »
So yeah, I ordered a gtx260 (216), but can't get it to work. This is what I get when I try to boot up, and then followed by this after a short moment. No error messages, no beeps, no POST, just a scrambled image. The gfx fan is spinning though.
I'm thinking that I probably received a faulty graphic card.
I'm going to see if I can try it out in someone else's computer as soon as possible though.
My old gts8800 320mb is working like a charm for the record, but I'm having no luck with this gtx260.

My other system components:
Core2Duo e6750
2x1gb ram
Corsair 520w

It's not an όber-powerful PSU, but Corsair PSUs are supposed to be high quality stuff with plenty of ampere on the 12v rails, and it's only a year and a half old. Nvidia recommends a 500w PSU on the packaging, while the manufacturers (XFX) prefer 650w, but I looked around on different forums before deciding on the gtx260, and lots of people are running similar or more powerful systems on a Corsair 520w. From all the 260 reviews I've read, it's also supposed to be very power efficient in idle mode. So surely my PSU should be able to handle this graphic card? Especially if I unplug all non-essential stuff (tried it, no difference).
Granted, I keep my computer running non-stop maybe 5-6 days a week on average, so it might've lost some efficiency, but I still think I should be able to boot up at the very least.

Something I did notice while looking around in the BIOS with my old 8800gts plugged in though, under "PC health status", was that "+12v" was flashing between "OK" and "fail". Not a permanent "fail", but OK for about 2 seconds, and then fail for 2 seconds. Could that have anything to do with why the 260 (which requires 2x6-pin connectors) fails to even boot, while the 8800gts is perfectly happy with just one 6-pin connector?

Faulty graphic card and/or failing PSU?

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2009, 01:56:46 AM by Lomez »
"Any problem solved is a new problem made. Don't solve problems." -Karl Pilkington

Currently grinding away in Aion. Estimation: 1657d 18h 10m 45s until max level.
Kwii!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
Re: Problem with new graphic card
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2009, 02:49:44 AM »
maybe one of the 12v rails is toast, if you got a 2nd psu it would be an easy try, or if you bought the card somewhere locally go there or another local shop and ask if it's possible to try the card, and maybe check the psu aswell

what happens if you use the other pci-e powerconnector on your 8800 ? but if it switches from ok to fail in the bios -> something's probably not ok with the psu :)
<•><•<>•><•>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<•><•<>•><•>

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2009, 03:18:11 AM »
I tried both of the pci-e connectors (even tested with molex-to-pci-e converters for the heck of it), no difference.
I find it odd that it's flashing between OK and fail in the PC health status. Why not one OR the other?  ::)

Speaking of 12v, when I check with Everest, Speedfan and Easytune5 (nice overclocking program I got with my Gigabyte mobo), the readings for +12v vary a lot. Anywhere from 0.9v to 4-6v depending on system load according to the first two, and 13-15v according to Easytune5. Isn't it supposed to be as close to 12.00v as possible at all times?
The +3v and +5v readings are almost spot on however. Correct me if I'm wrong here though, I'm pretty green on this kind of stuff.

I don't have an extra PSU, but I'll see if I can convince my brother to let me violate his computer one of these days. No local shops (at all) around here.
"Any problem solved is a new problem made. Don't solve problems." -Karl Pilkington

Kwii!

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2009, 05:10:33 PM »
The first one looks like a board issue, have you checked if your bios and motherboard are up to date on dealing with the newest things to plug into them?
(I still have a Sata2 harddisk laying around, because my old mother board didn't have an update to make it compatible, while it fits fine into the slot and receives enough power >.<)

The other screeny just looks plain broken :-/

[EDIT]
Oh law of murphy check, does your monitor have one of those auto adjust buttons?
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2009, 08:01:56 PM »
Hmm, I updated my bios a year and a half ago (shortly after I bought it), but the new versions don't seem to do anything about graphic cards and such.
Link to my Gigabyte mobo BIOS versions, I have the F4 version.
But I might try to update it anyway.

And yes, my monitor has an AUTO button, I'll give it a try next time.

Kwii!

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2009, 10:23:11 PM »
Well the customer support seemed content with the info I provided, so I'm going to return this graphic card and get a new one.

Kwii!

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2009, 07:30:36 PM »
Update in case anyone cares: the graphic card supposedly works, so they sent it back (that was quite a while ago, heh). Didn't cost me a dime (or "φre" rather) either, which was nice.

I still couldn't get it to work though, so I sent in my PSU last week (see reasons above), which they found faulty enough to replace. So now I'm waiting for a Corsair 620w (might as well upgrade while I'm at it, just had to pay the price difference anyway), which hopefully will seal the deal for me...

Kwii!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2009, 08:04:18 PM »
swedish videocard ? damn ... that works only if you got a hot blonde @ home taking care of it !
<•><•<>•><•>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<•><•<>•><•>

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2009, 09:02:13 PM »
I don't know about "hot", but other than that, I fit that description...

I bet the videocard gets hot though.

Kwii!

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2009, 07:46:06 AM »
* Gangrel hugs Lomez
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 09:52:13 AM »
* Gangrel hugs Lomez
/me shifts in the direction of the door.
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 05:54:21 PM »
* Lomez hides under a table and sucks on his thumb.

Kwii!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 06:01:44 PM »
sexey τo
<•><•<>•><•>
<•><•<>•><•>

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2009, 04:51:39 PM »
Is it worth it to replace a graphic card because of buzzing coils, or am I most likely just going to get a new one with a slightly different noise?

I didn't even know about this "phenomenon", but apparently it's very common...

Oh well, other than that, I couldn't be happier with my gtx260, and that high pitched whine is only audible with high framerates (ie in menus and loading screens) or with the sound off.

Kwii!

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2009, 05:11:38 PM »
No point in getting it replaced for that... there is no guarentee that it would go away
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!