Author Topic: Star Wars: The old Republic  (Read 13221 times)

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
Star Wars: The old Republic
« on: March 18, 2009, 07:20:41 PM »
http://www.swtor.com/
So, what do you think about it? It whould be most likely "park theme" variant, though i don't think, that it is nessessary bad. Every profession will have a unique storyline. Thaat is , in theory, makes playing every class equaly interesting.

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
Re: Star Wars: The old Republic
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2009, 08:03:01 PM »
Not only that, they aim on having an extensive good and evil system that changes the objectives of each mission(thus the storyline) depending on your side.

There is much debate on how you could possibly balance a Jedi that should normally be able to hack up 2000 well equipped and trained republic soldiers while at the same time have a class called 'soldier' in the same game and I'd be interested in seeing what it turns out.

Lastly bioware's best potential can be seen in Mass Effect, one of the few games where they did not adhere to a leveling system copied from a pen and paper RPG. Because they so rarely use an original balancing system and tend to borrow their balance from WotC or Lucas Arts, they do have a reputation for being generic and unoriginal in their class systems(not a bad thing as WoTC's systems are extremely cool IM(I)O).
I hope they will continue to uphold the quality in story they did with the story of Mass Effect it rocked and that the game will have as much interesting features to the side as Knights of the Old Republic had(and KotOR II, but bioware just funded that, they weren't actually the ones making it).

So yea, the story and quest lines are gonna be awesome and may even make it so that 2 alts get you entirely different experiences as you go through the game, but the quality and originality of the class and balance system remains to be seen...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:07:46 PM by System_Crush »
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2009, 08:14:59 PM »
Balancing Jedi would be very hard. To be honest, I think it'd be very fun to play a Star Wars game without Jedi for once. At least playable ones.
Also, I don't particularly like that unique storyline for every character thing. It tends to create a huge mess when a few people are actively trying to roleplay, making for a strong dissonance when one player did a mission earlier and another one is just starting it, thus causing mission-running to become completely non-canon/OOC.
But than, who thinks of roleplayers when making an MMOG? Oh, wait. Bioware.

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 08:28:47 PM »
I'd say they'll haf'ta go with the generic [angelic music]Team Leader[/angelic music] and 'the other guys' where there's one guy setting the objectives for said mission and the whole team plays that person's story for the mission(maybe even getting bonus objectives for each alignment/class specifically(unlikely)) and 'that' will be 'that mission', even if there where other twists possible for it.

Many other games do it that way, this was also the practice in many an NWN multiplayer I played.
(though there was also ones where we had an actual DM, that was spamming in the 'voice of god' chat and spawning NPC's and mobs to get the story perfect for everyone)

P.S.
Loved that DM lock DC's defaulted to 25 and where a cinch for my rogue to pick if that DM forgot the properly lock the door by increasing the DC, even at lvl 1.
"As the zombies crawl out of every nook and cranny the doors slam shut and fall into their locks. The smell you followed in here gets stronger and str... where the heck did Raven get to?!"
« Last Edit: March 18, 2009, 08:37:47 PM by System_Crush »
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline UnterHund

• Recruit First Class
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2009, 10:52:37 PM »
Maybe I'll try it out when it comes, though I'm a bit tired of those [target]-[watch]-[press buttons]-gameplay style that they seem to use.
What I find strange is, given SWToR is set hundreds/thousands of years before Ep1 how come there are already what seems to be clone warriors?
See video:
http://www.swtor.com/media/trailers/video-documentary-2
(at 1:58 - lower right corner and background, and 2:51)

UnterHund
The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools.
- Herbert Spencer -

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2009, 03:30:21 PM »
They could use the cloning technology before, though not to that extend, as in clone wars. Also, this technology whould probably be used in the ressing the players..

Offline Zey95

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 05:08:35 PM »
I am also fallowing the development of this game. It has the potential to be a grate game and Bioware do make RPGs with high replay ability.

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
  • Exterminate! Annihilate! Destroy!
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 06:28:11 PM »
The fact that bioware is developing it, says a lot. Actually it says it all! This game is gonna rock our arses!!!
and as i have said many times while i was playing TR, swtor would surely the ideal candidate to make me put TR in secondary priority, if not to replace it.
I think that this game will cover the big gap TR's closure left...
I'm a fan of all seven deadly sins, but concerning NCsoft, i'll stick with WRATH! So will all of my 14 chars!

Offline Alexanndra

• Lance Corporal
  • Penumbra Sniper
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2009, 12:28:42 PM »
mass effect was great. KOTOR 1&2 were great. infinity engine based games (NB: bioware DEVELOPED the infinity engine) were all best sellers, ALL OF THEM. and it shouldn't be difficult to kill a force wielder (in terms of balance) just have a look at kotor or the movies. ok ok so the jedi/siths are all high and mighty at deflecting laser bursts. but... can they dodge bullets? seriously speaking... phaser shots LOOK WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY slower than bullets, hell the way i see things force wielders are actually major league baseball players ;) except they hit lasers not balls.

but having a SW based game WIGHOUT force users.. mmmmmmh :( that's all the fun in sw, c'mon... besides boba fett was pretty skilled at fighting jedi or jango, whatever, can't remember :D

personally i'm looking forward to seeing it :))
you can always lose your head for a sniper. literally.

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2009, 12:59:07 PM »
Yea and if Jango can't do it Grievous stands a good chance as well.
4 armed light saber droid FTW :P
(\_/)
(o.O)

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 02:06:34 PM »
the only thing that saddens me about swtor is that there will not be a Grey Jedi class.
I'm a fan of all seven deadly sins, but concerning NCsoft, i'll stick with WRATH! So will all of my 14 chars!

Offline Alexanndra

• Lance Corporal
  • Penumbra Sniper
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2009, 01:02:03 PM »
you could be gray if u wanted i guess.. like kyle katarn said, it is not important which powers you learn but HOW you put them to use. do you seriously think master yoda couldn't choke someone to death if he needed to? ok maybe not to death death but to morpheus' realm for sure ;)
you can always lose your head for a sniper. literally.

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:06:01 PM »
The grey jedi is a secretive cult of jediis (mostly consular and sentinels) that make sure the social, economical, political and vital balance in the galaxy is kept.
They empower the lightside when the sith kick ass, or empower the sith when light jedis thrive. They re the ones who created G0T0, the droid that in kotor2 is found to be te leader of the exchange (the opposing force to the economic empire of the hutts).
Except this, the Grey jedis also have a sacred duty to never leave the light or dark side without force sensitives.
They protect the force from wounds like Darth Nihillus and the hero of kotor2. Also they prevent abnormal extinction of species in the galaxy. It is something like the Gallifreyan Timelords in the Doctor Who universe.
The grey jedis have light and dark side powers, but also have some powers that are trully grey and their effects are focused on the force itself, like force resistance, force cancellation(dispell), force immunity, force empower, cloak force, steal force, enrich force, etc etc...
Some really rare grey jedi consulars, were historians of the force, something like the watchers on highlander story.
Famous grey jedis [from kotor1&2] were Jolee Bindo and Kreija.
These were described in an old republic novel [dont remember its name] that was banned by lu-cash brats. unfortunatelly, not even starwars wiki mentions them [thanks to ge-orgy lu-cash again].

So, playing a jedi that is neither light or dark side is something tottaly different than playing a true grey jedi.

But even so, the old republic is a beloved age and i 'd really love this mmo. more to that, your character's alignment is judged by the choices you make in the storyline. Ans we know only good storylines from games developed by bioware. Be it Kotor 1&2, be it mass effect, be it nwn1, nwn1-hotu, nwn1-sotu, nwn2, nwn2-motb. The only story disappointment was nwn2-soz, but even so, it was better than other rpgs' stories. Even if bioware builds the engine it still carries good carma and good fortune, and i believe that the story is gonna kick frakking arze
« Last Edit: May 08, 2009, 02:29:51 PM by Astralon »

Offline Zey95

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 03:58:50 PM »
@Astralon where did you get your information? ???

Bioware did not make Knights of the old republic 2 or Never Winter Nights 2 they were both made by Obsidian.

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2009, 07:00:05 AM »
huh? maybe i got confused.

anyway, the info comes from a novel that was withdrawn by Lu-cash because it didnt have the autorization from Ge-orgy Lu-cash (!). Only a few copies were sold. I read 1/4 of it from a photocopied copy of the book. When i reached the 1/3 of the book it became untreadable as there was too much curving and darkening (the owner of the book didnt want to crack the spine of the book, and the photocopies were crappy after a point). The photocopies didnt even contain the prologue, the TOC and the front and back covers.... But the info i got was valuable as it showed how deep the grey jedi council was.
I tried to find more in wikipedia, but it seems that theres not info there too... thanks again to Luk-a$$