Author Topic: Help Lomez pick a new MP3 player!  (Read 5712 times)

Offline Lomez

• N/A ON TEST SERVER >:D
  • Gunnery Sergeant
Help Lomez pick a new MP3 player!
« on: April 06, 2009, 07:07:53 PM »
(This falls under "suggestions and ideas", right?  ;))

My good old iAudio X5 30gb is starting to fall apart (wobbly and inaccurate joystick), and the battery life is down from ~14 hours to a paltry 1.5-2 hours at the most. I was thinking about having the battery replaced, but since the warranty expired long ago and I'd probably have to send the player halfway around the world, screw it. The other option is to buy a battery for 25 and fiddle around with tiny-ass wires and a soldering iron, but screw that too.

Besides, as much as I liked the iAudio X5, I think I want something a little different this time. Sure, being able to carry around 30 gigabytes of music, videos, pictures and audiobooks is awesome, but the player was a bit on the large and heavy side if you want to carry it with you everywhere in your pocket. And being able to watch videos on it was cool, but I can live without it.
So what I want is a small and nimble music player with great battery life that takes at least 10gb. Oh, and I'd rather not fork out 250 or whatever I paid, this time

And please don't say iPod, I don't want to use the same player as everyone else seems to use. Childish, I know, but I have my principles  :P

3... 2... 1... recommend away!
"Any problem solved is a new problem made. Don't solve problems." -Karl Pilkington

Currently grinding away in Aion. Estimation: 1657d 18h 10m 45s until max level.
Kwii!

Offline Zey95

• Corporal
Re: Help Lomez pick a new MP3 player!
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 07:40:30 PM »
Well I have had good experience with Creative. http://uk.europe.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=213&subcategory=214&product=17811 16GB Zen X-Fi 149.99 32GB Zen X-Fi 195.99

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 09:33:00 PM »
i would look through the list Here

Yeah i knwo that they are UK prices BUT they are generally accurate reviews (not found one too inaccurate).

Personally though, i have a sony ericcson mobile phone with a large memory card... so a dedicated MP3 player for me is kinda pointless >.<
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 11:14:20 PM »
i'm pretty happy with my walkman by sony, even although it's a bit stupid to handle sometimes (playlists, file management, folders), but aside of that -> it does it's job and that's all that counts, and, the battery is capable to play music for ~ 30h (36h according to the manual/advertising) ... which was the main aspect for me to buy that thing =), and bluetooth is a nice addition, especially while biking

but as told ... filemanagement really sucks

<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 11:30:44 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion and links.

I don't mind Creative either, my I-trigue speakers are still working perfectly (despite getting knocked down all the time by our cats), but I really don't like the blocky shape of that player. Looks too much like a media player, and what's with all those buttons?

Having looked around a bit, I think I might go with the Sony Walkman NWZ-S639F 16GB (which coincidentally was RegHardware's top pick for 2008).
I could get it for 135 with free shipping, which I think is alright. Otherwise there's the 8gb version with slightly less features and run-of-the-mill headphones for 95, but I think 8gb just wouldn't be enough and I'd end up regretting going for the cheaper option in the end.

I really like the looks of that Walkman, the sound is supposed to be awesome according to almost all reviews, it's small and light and the earphones seem to be pretty good. But I'm still open for suggestions.

Oh hey, look what teskon posted while I was typing  :D

Edit: Oh yeah, 40-50 hours of battery life is about 25 times more than I currently get  :P
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:36:07 PM by Lomez »
"Any problem solved is a new problem made. Don't solve problems." -Karl Pilkington

Kwii!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 11:46:51 PM »
well, if you really need the fm tuner ...
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 12:05:03 AM »
What, is that one of the differences?

Like I said, the bigger flash drive and (supposedly) better earphones (oops, I accidentally wrote headphones in my post) is what appeals to me the most.

Kwii!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 01:06:13 AM »
nah nvm, =), it's a good choice, and the earphones are ok, although i might need XS instead of S in size , but since no XS is available i got to live with the S when using them

<><<>><>
<><<>><>

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:32:51 AM »
One Sony Walkman NWZ-S639F 16gb ordered. It came down to either that one or an iAudio 7 16gb for the same price (or 0.1 cheaper, if you want to be anal).

Kwii!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 07:19:45 AM »
well, order both and have 32gb !!!
<><<>><>
<><<>><>

Offline Alexanndra

• Lance Corporal
  • Penumbra Sniper
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 01:34:15 PM »
sony FTW. i love it.
you can always lose your head for a sniper. literally.

Offline Lomez

• Gunnery Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 02:47:35 PM »
Me likes it so far. I had it in my hands just a day and a half after ordering it as well.

The only thing I really miss is seeing how long each song is without having to hit options, scroll down to song information and hit OK though, and I haven't found a way to "fix it". A bookmark feature for the occasional audio book would be nice too, but I think I'll survive.

Kwii!

Offline smooth

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Say Hello to my new Girl!
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2009, 02:02:37 AM »
Nice Links

Always need a good lead or two.
Someone has an attitude!

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
  • Exterminate! Annihilate! Destroy!
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2009, 02:48:14 PM »
my mnp3 player is a nokia 5800. it kix ass.
I'm a fan of all seven deadly sins, but concerning NCsoft, i'll stick with WRATH! So will all of my 14 chars!

Offline Alexanndra

• Lance Corporal
  • Penumbra Sniper
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2009, 03:15:33 AM »
blackberry storm!!!! all the way! once you get your hands on that baby you can forget about the iphone. forever. plus, the storm is actually USEFUL for work :) try it
you can always lose your head for a sniper. literally.