Author Topic: Firefall  (Read 8086 times)

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
Firefall
« on: September 16, 2010, 03:37:16 PM »
So, apparently this thing was announced at PAX or something. Here's the site: http://www.firefallthegame.com/

Here's what the site blurb says about it:
"Earth will never be the same. After the Crystite Wars, humanity inadvertently invited the worst enemy ever conceived: THE MELDING. It surrounds us. It forces us to live in pockets of land protected only by the accidental discovery of repulsor technology. We continue to fight for land. For technology. For power. For our very survival. JOIN THE FIGHT.

FIREFALL is a team-based action shooter. Join your friends in an epic online campaign across a vast open world to stop the Melding and fight for the survival of humanity against the army of the Chosen. Advance your army and character through technological upgrades. Level up different character classes. Compete for supremacy in various multiplayer game types. Push back the Melding. SAVE EARTH"

They have a teaser trailer and a gameplay trailer, and from what I can make of them, it's a shooter MMO that's somewhat like a more action-based TR that doesn't seem to take itself too seriously. A bit cartoony for my taste, but at least it's not brown. Looks good overall.

Oh, and some info tells it's going to be free to play. I haven't found a confirmation, but that's one more thing to consider.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
Re: Firefall
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 08:09:29 PM »
Are there Rocket-Launchers ingame? If not -> no interest.
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 08:14:46 PM »
I'll assume yes, because a futuristic shooter without a rocket launcher makes no sense. There wasn't one in the trailer, though, but there was a blaster-like thing.

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:20 PM »
That is totally a Borderlands MMO with a bit of GA armor design and third person game play, but first person game play as well.
No marks for originality, but better plagiarized properly then conceived crappy, it looks like a lot of fun as borderlands was a lot of fun!
Thanks for the heads up Grichman, this is one worth keeping track of.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:37:56 PM by System_Crush »
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 06:55:55 AM »
They also said that they intend to make "large, open worlds" or something to that effect rather than putting their players in instances, which scores a ton of extra points with me (Okay, technically, it gets no penalty with me, but should you care?). Kind of what I expected from GA, to be honest.

Probably the only thing seen in the trailer that bothers me was that one of the bugs near the end of that Thumper sequence dropped an equipment piece. Goddomot, I hate monsters dropping gear.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 08:05:42 AM »
Goddomot, I hate monsters dropping gear.

Wasn't that the reason you played TR? Thrax dropping 1337 lewt!
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 08:08:31 AM »
Nah, I played for all the shootan, explodan (When crab mines finally figure out how to run towards the nearest Thrax) and out of hope I'll eventually get my yellow submarine PAU.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Ah ... Crab Mines ... memories come up :). Crab Mines + Controlled Fission + Explosive Nanites ... ah those delightful explosions. Nanites were so underrated ...

Anyways, will keep an eye on that one.
<><<>><>
<><<>><>

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 06:55:51 AM »
I've started mining for info. Here's two FAQ threads with some interesting stuff that makes the game look absolutely delicious:
http://www.firefallthegame.com/forums/showthread.php?4-Frequently-Asked-Questions-Updated-9-6-2010
http://www.firefallthegame.com/forums/showthread.php?973-A-Compilation-of-Questions-Answered-by-the-Devs-Part-2

Particularly this bit:
"The world is full of dynamic events. The attack on Dredge that we showed at PAX was another dynamic event. Normally, Dredge is not under attack. It's a perfectly peaceful town, but due to it's location and the valuable resources that are mined there, the town can come under attack by the Chosen.

Other missions are based on time of day, time of week, time of year, or even player actions. We are trying very hard to make the open-world feel like a living and breathing place where things happen and you have the chance to make a difference."

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2010, 04:24:53 PM »
A dev quote:
"I really can't believe the game isn't even in beta yet and Crater's [an ability demonstrated in the trailer] already been renamed to "buttstomp." I guess I should cherish the time left before it starts getting called that in the office..."

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2010, 10:09:31 PM »
Three new screenshots have been published. Do they remind you of anything?

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 10:44:45 AM »
Looks like Borderlands, just other setting, and a bit less comicstyle, except the character.
<><<>><>
<><<>><>

Offline Ralexand

• Recruit
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2010, 09:01:34 PM »
ZOMG! First and Last Pic looks like Concordia Wilderness!!!!! (or Foreas in general)  ;D I will check that game out ! Yeah its quite comicstyle, but I can live with that.

I just watched the Gameplay Trailer .... it looks pretty neat! I really like the flying scene ... if this is really a large open world .... that would be not bad.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2010, 09:15:56 PM by Ralexand »

Offline smooth

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Say Hello to my new Girl!
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 11:09:28 PM »
and yes...looks like rocket launchers and crab mines..

my my my ;)
Someone has an attitude!

Offline System_Crush

• Sergeant
  • Life is a Glitch and then you die.
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2010, 12:16:42 PM »
Beta registrations are now open!
http://www.firefallthegame.com/forums/register.php

I declared you to be my referrer Pvt. Grichmann, thanks for telling me about what might turn out to be extremely awesome.
Meeverus on Centaurus, Systemcrush on PTS
(\_/)
(o.O)
(> <) This is bunny, copy bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination