Author Topic: Rift anyone ?  (Read 2288 times)

Offline Guthwulf

• Recruit
Rift anyone ?
« on: January 13, 2011, 07:07:22 PM »
Only came across this upcoming MMO about a week ago due to it not being hyped as the next WoW blah blah blah :P

Its fantasy setting, but seems to have some TR like attributes, basicly rifts open in the zones on the map from other dimensions and mobs come out, if left unchecked they establish footholds which then launch invasions on the npc towns. These are scaled based on numbers of players in the zone, their level etc
In the beta apparently they had around 40-50 rifts open in 1 zone with >1000 mobs in the invading armies and 600 people in the zone fighting it off with no
issues !

The NDA is now lifted and theres many vids and podcasts etc about it, 90% feedback positive, so its looking promising.

Basicly its building on the EQ/Daoc/Wow etc model of game but with its own twists and tweaks ie. There are 4 base callings (Warrior,Mage,Rogue & Cleric)
and within each of those are 8 classes. Each character can have 3 classes active at any one time and has 66 points to spend between them (max 51 in a tree)
These are kinda like wow/war feat trees, but ontop of that you have 4 'Souls' that you can preload with diffrent character specs once youve unlocked them ofc.

On paper and vids it looks damn good so heres some links, check it out and make up your own minds, but it looks a whole lot better and more polished than War/Aoc/Aion etc :)

It launches in EU on march 4/5th & preorder headstart is on 24th feb. Preorders also get into betas remaining (next on 25jan) and get discount sub aswell as usual goodies. Discount sub is 6.99 p/m for 3months or 5.99 p/m for 6months instead of 8.99. I believe tax ontop so add 1 on basicly, and this discount will continue untill you cancel a sub.

Rift homepage - http://www.riftgame.com/en/
Rift podcast+ - http://www.riftpodcast.com/
Rift Wiki - http://telarapedia.com/wiki/Rift:_Planes_of_Telara_Wiki
Rift char builder - http://www.riftrolebuilder.com/
Useful links - http://forums.riftgame.com/showthread.php?1139-Useful-Links-for-Newcomers!

ingame footage trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldI3ypm1gHg
open world pvp (zerg) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCaAoWo2Go4 - on a pvp server ofc.

The podcast page has alot of info, both pros and cons and a not too fanboi-ish attitude so worth a good read and listen Imo.

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
Re: Rift anyone ?
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2011, 09:50:56 PM »
I really can't throw money left and right atm, so I going to wait for swtor. Should it fail, I might take a look around.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 05:04:11 PM by Mironov »

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2011, 03:42:13 PM »
Too much fantasy, I need machine guns & rocket launchers ... I need NOISE in my ears! :)
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
  • Making thrax-spanking an artform.....
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2011, 02:15:12 PM »
I knew I'd miss running around in my grav armor with my rocket launcher but not this much.  I'll make a look-see and get back to you on this one.  -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2011, 09:59:18 PM »
I have actually been listening to the music of TR recently....
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
  • Exterminate! Annihilate! Destroy!
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2011, 10:34:59 AM »
Too much fantasy, I need machine guns & rocket launchers ... I need NOISE in my ears! :)
apb reloaded?
I'm a fan of all seven deadly sins, but concerning NCsoft, i'll stick with WRATH! So will all of my 14 chars!

Offline knoote

• Recruit First Class
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 05:33:08 PM »
Why on earth do they want to resurrect a game like APB and they leave TR to die. It is hard for me to understand. But maybe someone tried but NCsoft didn't want anyone to have the game. I bet those people are secretly playing TR in their bunker and are the happiest people on Earth right now. It has been a few years now since the shutdown, but I listen daily to TR music and I got the doggy tag around my monitor.

Offline Tilarta

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 04:50:02 AM »
Fantasy=no no no.

I did try for a while to get into fantasy games, but my heart was never in it.

Basically, I spend most of my time trying to work out the mechanics and studying skills until I need a certain Salarian Doctor to prescribe some high strength painkillers. You will recieve a cookie if you get the reference.  ::)

Simply put, I don't understand the "rules" of fantasy games.

But in a sci-fi game (or anything else, like TV shows or books), everythings as clear as a stealthed Spy.
I guess my mental processes are more configured to understand sci-fi better then any other entertainment medium.

When I realized that fact (it took me a while!), I immediately stopped considering any fantasy game as potential purchases.

Excuse me while I go stand by the information highway with a sign that reads "Sci fi mmo or keep driving"......

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 10:42:41 PM »
The reference is from ME2.  Now where is my cookie?

Offline Tilarta

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2011, 12:44:59 PM »

Here you go.

I'd get it fast, before Grunt eats them all......

Disclaimer: not my work, I borrowed it from the Mass Effect Christmas thread.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 05:13:28 AM by Tilarta »

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2011, 01:51:39 PM »
munch, munch!
* Mironov wipes a mouth with a right hand.