Author Topic: Amateur programmer wanted  (Read 1497 times)

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
Amateur programmer wanted
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:45:10 PM »
As you probably know, I've been interested in and dabbled in game design. Over the years, I've played quite a bit of games, understood the pros and cons of most and never hesitated to share my opinion - as well as ways of improving them. I've also found a colleague who shares this interest. Together we've come up with a few interesting ideas - enough to write up some concept docs or even partially completed designs for full games.

However, we've both hit a roadblock - neither of us is any good at coding. As much as we'd like, we can't develop our design skills any further without observable results - no matter how full and detailed designs are, they're worthless unless they're realised.

It's hard to find a programmer for such an uncertain position. By the time most of them have enough skill to look for something, they've either already found a stable job and won't be distracted by any side projects, or are already attempting to write their own Uberproject of this super cool and original MMOG, like totally original! - and won't be distracted by some shmucks who don't share their vision.

So, I need someone to help me and learn together. An amateur programmer who wants to make videogames. I don't ask for much - we'll literally be starting with the simplest of things - things you've probably already done. It'll take a while before we start making our first completely own game, even longer until we make something we can show others. Unfortunately, I can't offer much, either - it's going to take time to make anything even remotely worth trying to sell. Don't expect to become instantly rich, famous, or skilled - it takes work getting there. We may, and probably will, fail, especially early on.
As for the language you use - I'm simply not competent enough to give a definitive answer. All I know is that C and its variants are probably the best, but may prove to be overkill, at least early on. For now, anything you feel confident working in. Bonus points for having experience with game engines like Unity.

So, does anyone want to invest in an unstable future?

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
Re: Amateur programmer wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:32:52 PM »
Haven't you though about making your casual game on a flash? seems in the modern days this is the best method of making your game readily available without worrying too much about different hardware compatibility.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 04:05:37 PM »
I don't like Flash, but I did experiment a bit with Game Maker and Unity. The former is a bit hard to use and seems to require some tricky manoeuvring to make some things, and it's fairly limited. The latter is much better, but requires at least some knowledge of C - I can see that it's not a lot, but it's more than I have.
I do make attempts at these things every now and then, but they don't seem to go anywhere.

Offline knoote

• Recruit First Class
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2011, 08:08:37 PM »
I wish i had time for that. I made

members.home.nl/knootewoot/gnomes

(the CotEW.exe is the executable for the demo)

with gamemaker. This demo has 4 levels and a lot of bugs still hehe.

If i didn't have a dayjob and an evening school I would do it. But to busy :/