Author Topic: Doctor Who f2p mmo  (Read 3335 times)

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
Re: Doctor Who f2p mmo
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2011, 09:00:27 PM »
Wow, awesome. Not sure how the series can be made into an MMOG (At least because it's so frelling huge), and not sure if Three Rings can make it right (Both their other games are awesome, just... not very MMO-ish?). Still, it's Doctor Who!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2011, 11:27:47 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what's 'Doctor Who'?
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Zey95

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »
Excuse my ignorance, but what's 'Doctor Who'?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/dw
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CYDgezeQas
Doctor Who is a British science fiction television programme produced by the BBC. The programme depicts the adventures of a mysterious and eccentric Time Lord known as the Doctor who travels through time and space in his time machine, the TARDIS (an acronym for Time And Relative Dimension(s) In Space), which normally appears from the exterior to be a blue 1950s British police box. With his companions, he explores time and space, faces a variety of foes and saves civilizations, helping people and righting wrongs.

I have to agree with Grichmann I think that Doctor Who is just too big to be made into a MMO where would they even start?

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2011, 04:56:44 PM »
Wait, Teskon, didn't you have a Dalek on your avatar?

Well, if I was making an MMOG roughly based on Doctor Who and had fairly unlimited resources, I'd start with making four different and interesting space-time coordinates (Something futuristic, but human; something contemporary, or at least 20th century; something historical; and something completely alien), each with its own theme, conflict and somewhat different gameplay (e. g. the futuristic setting would play like an FPS, the contemporary is more of an adventure game with little fighting), then, rather than expanding existing coordinates, add new ones. An important bit would be that no two coordinates are related in any way - a player who is your enemy in one can be an ally in another.
Oh, and two things would be conspicuously absent: the Doctor and TARDIS. Because come on, the setting is huge, and there's only one of him, time travel or not.

Or hey, the Time War would work as a setting for an MMOG, tasteless as it is. It would let you roll around shouting EX-TER-MI-NAAAAATE, at the very least.

Then again, knowing Three Rings' track record, we can expect simplistic graphics and a not-purely-RPG gameplay, but very little numbers getting in the way of whatever you do.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 04:58:23 PM by Pvt. Grichmann »

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Doctor would probably be a main NPC. Players, imho, will get to use a wrist-time machine, with a shorter range then TARDIS. Since the Doctor's adventures was heavy on "crafting", crafting should be fun in that mmo too. If i were to choose a setup for a zones, i would choose a modern town as a noob zone, then historical setup , then somewhere deep in a future and then a parallel universe.
I hope that an XP could be gathered ot only by killing stuff, but by advancing in a storyline too.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 06:32:41 PM by Mironov »

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2011, 06:52:27 PM »
Well, I'm living without TV since more than 17 years now, so I absolutely got almost no clue about what stuff is running there :). And I have to say, I do not even miss a thing.

Regarding an avatar, I had this one once, but was asked to remove it. ;) ->
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2011, 11:48:55 AM »
In our modern age, one does not need no TV set to watch a cool movies. Check it out. Start from the 1st episode of a 1st season and off you go ^^
http://tv.blinkx.com/show/doctor-who/7cENUHQO39Wa4Shgm8UCsu-6iEU#s1e1

Offline Zey95

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2011, 11:32:18 PM »
I would like to see some game play footage or screen shots before I belive that this will come of any thing.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2011, 11:28:19 PM »
In some news kind of, sort of related to this thing, Three Rings have released a new game, published by Sega: Spiral Knights. It's an arcadey thingy, fairly primitive at its core, but with some tricky customisation revolving around the 4 elements and 6 status effects in the game.
It's free, can be played without spending anything, and available on Steam. Go give it a try.

Offline Tilarta

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011, 12:58:23 AM »
Yeah, I saw that game.

My initial reason to reject it was it was too cartoony for my taste.
I prefer realism in my mmos.

Second reason, after a plethora of fantasy/magic games (Guild Wars was the only one I played, but I tired of that and stopped), I made a rule that I was only going to play science-fiction or modern era games.

This is 1) because I've always been a hardcore sci-fi fan and 2) I like to fight with advanced technology (or at least, 20th century technology).
Games based around spells and casting never really appealed to me, where the magic powers you used was more important then what you did with your weapons and armor.

Sadly, decent sci-fi mmos (or games in general) seem to be very rare, it seems like I'm hearing about fantasy or semi-fantasy games 9 times more then I do about sci-fi ones.

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2011, 10:38:25 AM »
APB - decent non-fantasy mmo. it is not an rpg though, just "shoot em up, drive them over" pvp game, where you unlock new weapons and cosmetic stuff every now and then. It is f2p as well, although cash shop offers a cool weaponry for a real money, so you never know, if you loosing because your opponent is better or because he uses a shop weapon.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2011, 10:39:56 AM by Mironov »

Offline Tilarta

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 01:01:02 AM »
Oh yeah, about APB........

I did consider playing that, just to find out if it was worth committing to full time.

And then the company threw me a planet sized curve ball.

The game was not released in Australia/or to Australian customers, so we're completely excluded from playing the game!
I happen to be an Australian by the way.

I actually thought that game had been closed down, but it looks like it's getting relaunched again.

But unless they change that no-Australia policy, bringing the game back isn't exactly going to help me.

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:39:02 PM »
Try a proxy software maybe?  Like Proxyfier (http://www.proxifier.com/)
also, as they server in Us, you might wanna use this list of american proxy - http://spys.ru/proxys1/US/

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
Well, this is certainly a thing. It exists, it's in a very early pre-release state, and it's a Flash-based Puzzle Pirates redux, and you play as a vaguely-defined companion-ish figure with their own room in the TARDIS.
I'll keep from commenting on it.
Have a look for yourself if you want to: http://doctorwhowit.com/