Author Topic: Yet *another* Sci-Fi/Fantasy MMO  (Read 2903 times)

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
Yet *another* Sci-Fi/Fantasy MMO
« on: August 17, 2011, 02:35:31 PM »
Yep, tis the season to be jolly (well more accurately is Games Conference Season)... and at the Gamescon in Cologne, NCsoft studio Carbine Studios have *finally* announced their super secret MMO...

Wildstar

I have signed up for the beta for it, as well as a note attatched to it concerning the forum members here.

So fingers crossed.

Looks most interesting, and at least the trailer has loads of humor in it. Now to wait for more information concerning the game mechanics behind it as well.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
Re: Yet *another* Sci-Fi/Fantasy MMO
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 05:30:36 PM »
Lose the NCSoft bit and I'm interested.

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 06:07:50 PM »
The trailer is fun and it would be cool if they make they own cartoon like that, not just  a trailer.
It's indeed quite humorish and actiony. On the other hand NCSoft is infamous for the sudden project closure rather then moving at least to f2p model. I probably check it out when it goes to the open beta phase. But if you get some cbt keys, i could use one :)
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 06:38:47 PM by Mironov »

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 08:18:22 PM »
From what i can gather, since NCsoft West had the management shakeup, more power has been given to the studios, so the only thing that i can imagine that would *really* make the game fail would be if it didnt sell whatsoever.

Just as a side note: City of Heroes is actually going Free2Play/Hybrid subscription model... so there will always be the possiblity of that happening to their later titles... however it has also been apparently 18months/2 years in the works getting prepped up for it.

No subscription fee's announced, nor release date.

Am on the hunt for more information
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
  • Making thrax-spanking an artform.....
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:38 AM »
I re-booted to an old drive from my Win-Vista build in order to retrieve some old emails and discovered that it still had TaRa installed on it! 

I only stared at the main screen and clicked "connect" `200 times!

Well it was worth listening to the Sophie Bush loop anyway.....
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
  • Making thrax-spanking an artform.....
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 01:14:40 AM »
Oh yeah, *Wildstar*, we'll put that on the 'well see' list for now.

Bow wow wow wow ruf bark bark!
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Tilarta

• Lance Corporal
Uncertain about *another* Sci-Fi/Fantasy MMO
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:15:56 AM »
I'm not sure about this one.

Generally, I prefer "realistic" characters, not cartoons.

Also, the general design motif appears to be a little too much like fantasy, which is also giving me pause.

As a rule, sci-fi should be sci-fi, fantasy should be fantasy, I'm dubious about mix&matching the two......

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2011, 11:08:37 PM »
Game play video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxNI-bZcFs

Main feature of this game is that every monster require a special tactics to kill it. Also every class has it's own way of questing.

I found it kinda boring and stopped in the middle of a video.
Am I the only one who feels like MMORPG developers running out of original ideas?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 11:15:48 PM by Mironov »

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2011, 05:26:16 PM »
Stopped after 2 minutes. Looks like a boring-as-heck clone of that Everquest clone trying to ride Firefall's coattails. Adding a dodge manoeuvre to an otherwise standard MMOG does not instantly make it an action game.

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 07:14:53 PM »
Game play video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjxNI-bZcFs

Main feature of this game is that every monster require a special tactics to kill it. Also every class has it's own way of questing.

I found it kinda boring and stopped in the middle of a video.
Am I the only one who feels like MMORPG developers running out of original ideas?

I dunno, actually being able to level up for *exploring* the map and finding stuff, instead of just purely "killing" stuff is kinda nice. Actually its different "paths" that have a different way of gaining "main" XP. Soldiers can set off combat situations, explorers get stuff for finding stuff with Scientist and Settler to be explained more.

Warrior, Spellslinger and Esper are the main "classes". You then choose the path that you want to take it down.

@ Pvt Grichmann, i wouldnt say that its trying to ride on Firefall's coattails... the game has been in development for *at least* 4 years, if not longer.

And i dont think they were actually trying to pass it off as an "action" game... yes it *appears* to be fairly responsive, but you can tell in the gameplay video that its suffering the "wait for attacks" syndrome... although this could well be due to the characters being lowlevel so the spellslinger was actually waiting for its next skill to cycle.

@Mironov what "original" idea's are you thinking of? Presentation? Mechanics? Setting? Because I feel that at least for a *western* developed MMO, this could well be "the breath of fresh air".

Apparently a closed beta is due *sometime* next year for release in 2013/2014, so that gives it a lot of time to get actual smoothness sorted out.

On a side note: I *was* interested in SW:TOR but i got the impression of "holy trinity" quite heavily....
6) BLOG ME!

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2011, 08:23:23 AM »
Well, the two games do have a very similar visual style, which I can agree probably comes from some shared influence. However, note the tracking station the player calls down that in no way, shape or form resembles a thumper, no sir!

As for the "action" part, for me action and RPG just don't mix as well as they're cracked up to be. If a game works largely on the same number-crunching, dice-rolling, result-comparing mechanics as most RPG's, adding any kind of mechanic that bypasses it all in favour of twitch reflexes will only water it down, so to speak.

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2011, 03:13:57 PM »
But look at the spider aliens that Firefall has... that similarity is TOO CLOSE to the TR Xanth...

I suppose that you *could* call Firefall influenced by Borderlands/Champions Online due to the more "comic book" stylings.

Here is a link to a blog from one of the Wildstar developers concerning the stylings of the game linkage There are *comic book* influences, so that is probably the closest similarity (distinct lack of "toon outlining" on the Wildstar characters though)

I dont think the "dodge" is really "twitch" gameplay though, as there appears to be a large enough window to still be hit. Notice the large red attack circle that pops up when the bad guys attack, if you aint in there when it lands, you dont get hit. If you are complaining about that, then jumping whilst in combat shouldnt be allowed (if for example there is a ground effect in play, and jumping normally avoids it out of combat, then you are saying that it shouldnt be allowed *in* combat)

Twitch reflexes though typically refers to "aiming" instead of "dodging"... and as the game doesnt appear to be active aiming, i am finding it hard to call it "twitch gameplay".
6) BLOG ME!

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2011, 03:33:23 PM »
Apparently TR managed to inspire more then one game developer ;)

guess a mmorpg by the picture ;-)

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2011, 04:20:25 PM »
Well, okay. Twitch might not be the correct term. It's more a direct/indirect control thing. Either you have to dodge the attack yourself, or your character has a "dodge" stat that attacks roll against in order to hit - and similar decisions for most interactions. Especially jarring if there's only one reaction-based mechanic in an otherwise indirectly-controllable game.
Yes, jumping as a player action should not be allowed in combat (Or at all, in fact) in an RPG if there's a "reflex save" stat on a character. Moving out of the way of an attack that you can see coming is fine - but unless your character has an ability specifically allowing him to "Move 10 feet in a straight line at 400% move speed while avoiding all damage", he'll have to do it at his normal pace - and that ability better be governed by the same rules as all others.

Now, there is a thin line between just enough direct control and too much of it. Naturally, movement and  positioning should be direct - before you try attacking this train of thought. TR managed to balance on it quite well (Although I'd prefer it to move to a more action-based system. Aiming in particular). As a counter-example, Aion has similar mechanics in regards to movement, and Aion is a clunky mess.

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2011, 05:27:56 PM »
There should be a fine line of how twitchy a mmorpg should be. In tr you could hide behind a rock. in the one i put a screenshots on, enemies shoots you through the rocks.