Author Topic: INFINITERASA, a TR server emulator  (Read 12099 times)

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
  • Making thrax-spanking an artform.....
Re: INFINITERASA, a TR server emulator
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2011, 12:56:50 PM »
Oooo!  Nice work!  -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline mdagli1

• Recruit
« Reply #16 on: November 12, 2011, 11:20:27 AM »
Bad new guys. Due to legal intervention by NCsoft, the community has been shut down.
The server still does exist and there is still development progress but the public are simply not allowed to access it.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2011, 05:13:17 AM »
That's something that was to be expected. NCSoft is simply a crappy company.
<><<>><>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<><<>><>

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2011, 11:23:19 AM »
Bloody hell.  Well at least I got a few more screenshots....

Did anyone ever see other players in the environment? I was always alone.   

/sigh
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline mdagli1

• Recruit
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2011, 09:53:05 PM »
I got to play with a few players when it first came online. And got to spawn some objects that I would of never of otherwise.

The AFS tanks was a big bonus for me as I always wanted to see it for myself.

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2011, 08:13:26 AM »
Just when I thought I could not hate those NCSoft pukes any more.   -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
  • Exterminate! Annihilate! Destroy!
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2011, 07:15:17 PM »
for ****s sake what do they expect to earn out of being such assholes?
I'm a fan of all seven deadly sins, but concerning NCsoft, i'll stick with WRATH! So will all of my 14 chars!

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 03:49:26 PM »
for ****s sake what do they expect to earn out of being such assholes?

Unfortunately it is called "protecting your IP" which is part and parcel nowadays of the industry (especially IT wise). Even *if* they don't intend to release something in the near future, but say 8-10 years down the line... They *WILL NOT* be able to Trademark/License it again easily, as it could be viewed as in the "public domain" if they *dont* defend it.

For them, they are doing the "sensible" thing, although i am pretty sure that *any* company would love the opportunity to "steal" products from another company if they dont keep on releasing/maintaining a series...

Imagine the uproar if say Nintendo released "Little big Planet X" 3 years after Media Molecule closed down the franchise... all just because Media Molecule (developers) or Sony (publishers) *didnt* protect their IP... The fact that NCsoft are *still* active means that they should protect their IP even if the game is no longer active. IF Ncsoft closed down though... then i am sure that something could be said for it, of course, that all depends on who buys up the remains, if anyone does.

Personally, i was wondering how long it would take for it to happen... especially after i saw on the forums there a couple of "ex NCsoft/Destination Games" coders say that they would like to help out (quotes because i didnt recognise their names)..

Oh, and next time, just remember that people from NCsoft *still* visit this forum, even if they do not login to their account (Avatea springs to mind)
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline mdagli1

• Recruit
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 07:19:11 PM »
If you think about it, NCsoft has lost an absolute ton of money over this game (or is about to with this lawsuit). OK, some of it was their own damn fault but it was still at their expense. So they do deserve credit in the respect of IP. If anything, this confirms that they still own TR. However, it seems that the legal battle is still not over for them:
http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/10/25/appeals-court-affirms-richard-garriotts-lawsuit-win-against-ncs/
So anything still could happen in regards to the settlement.

Whilst the public server is no longer allowed to exist at the moment, you can still get hold of the code to access the client and host the server locally from here:
https://github.com/InfiniteRasa
Latest build:
https://github.com/InfiniteRasa/Game-Server/commits/experimental.atom

It's a bit too complicated for me but you get the idea.

You also can still talk to us on IRC.
Server: irc.freenode.net
port: 6667
Channel: #infiniterasa
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 07:38:34 PM by mdagli1 »

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 02:16:09 PM »
They did indeed loose a ton of money during the development of the game... Depending on your source, it cost somewhere in the region of $50-$150million to develop over the 7 year troubled period.

TR at its *peak* (ignoring initial launch period) had possibly 110K subscriptions... but it was definitely lower than that most of the time. It would have taken a *long long* time for them to recoup their costs.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Ronnan

• Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2011, 12:23:34 AM »
Ah damn, been lurking back here every now and again, and was excited to see this thread here, up until I saw it had been shut down.

Anyways like Gangrel said, if NC Soft didn't squish this, then it sets a precedent for other developers in the future, who can then "steal" an IP. NC Soft most likely have no intention of ever doing anything with TR, sad to say. If they don't do anything about this, then another developer could steal Aion or Guild Wars 2 and do so with a legal argument. That being NC Soft did nothing legally to protect the IP of TR when it had been violated, so it's okay for them to steal the new IP. It's a silly argument but it is there.

It's the same with Mojang Studio and Bethesda over the trademark of "Scrolls." Realistically, no one at Bethesda or its parent company believes that Mojang is trying to steal the Elder Scrolls franchise from them. It probably doesn't matter if Mojang wins the lawsuit or Bethesda, as long as Bethesda are seen to have legally backed up their claim to Elder Scrolls IP in court. This way it'll curtail any future attempts at IP theft by another company who might make a game called "The Elder Tomes VI," "The Aged Parchments 6," or "The Older Scrolls 6."

Anyways on a related note, anyone playing SWTOR? As I tell you what I got a very big Foreas Base vibe walking around the Twi'lek village in the Jedi starting zone. I half expected there to be a "Now hear this... " over the Tannoy!  ;D

Offline Astralon

• Lance Corporal
  • Exterminate! Annihilate! Destroy!
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:33 AM »
i am playing swtor on "Tomb of Freedon nadd" (and also on "legions of lettow"; although i dont think i m going to keep the chars on lettow server), and I have a Commando named "Tseligkas" and a Jedi Sentinel named "Giaourtakis". Tython resembles a bit of concordia wilderness, but it's a bit more rough. I think while playing my marauder on the other server, i encountered an imperial base that looked a lot like foreas base.
I'm a fan of all seven deadly sins, but concerning NCsoft, i'll stick with WRATH! So will all of my 14 chars!

Offline Jakalair

• Recruit
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2012, 07:15:39 PM »
New here and I just stumbled across this little project and it seems I was a few months late.
I am going to give it a go of setting this up since I just received my collectors edition for TR in the mail :)
I played the beta and the game when it was live, but Amazon was selling the collector's Edition for around $7 and I decided to do it.

Nice to see that the files are still up for the rest of us to attempt it.

Offline John Drdeath

• Lance Corporal
  • Drdeath is in the House, Lets Rave!
    • The dutch dragons II forum, nederlandstalige clan
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 01:48:41 PM »
I read the files are still up, so appart from the legal stuff what do i need to fix it athome for a singel player, i already have the box as you all know :P but want to see it just once more.
Miss you all, miss raving during raids and invasions :)

Greetz drdeath, aka AaronCain
Live Life, Die another day

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2015, 12:03:13 PM »
I hear you brother but it has now been SIX years and I fear the world has moved on.  I'm playing Firefall and there is a shrinking pool of people who even remember any more much less willing to actually do anything.   Just like World Of Darkness, I fear that if anything was going to get picked up by another party, it would have been already.  Maybe I'm wrong.  -L

P.S. Gangrel, thanx for keeping the site up here, I think this is the last of us.  :)
If it moves, shoot it!