Author Topic: City of Heroes, now free to play!  (Read 1555 times)

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
City of Heroes, now free to play!
« on: September 28, 2011, 01:52:51 PM »
Welcome to new players and veterans alike!

After several months' wait since the official announcement, City of Heroes Freedom™ is now accessible to all!*
Free players can now join our Premium and VIP players on the live servers in order to experience the extensive content of our 7-year-old super powered MMO!

With the launch of City of Heroes Freedom, a host of content is indeed available and you may want to familiarize yourselves with our game before embarking on the adventure. Our brand new City of Heroes Freedom mini-site is now available with several guides aimed at the beginners amongst us, so don't hesitate to use and abuse this handy resource!

For more details on what content our Free, Premium and VIP players get access to, make sure you read our Player Choices page for a Side-by-Side Comparison!

But before you get started on your heroic or villainous career, here is the official City of Heroes Freedom video to send you off in style!

See you in-game!

*To download City of Heroes Freedom, please go to this page.

Posted by Avatea on the official City of Heroes forums...

Yes, the game is now free to play, and if you previously had an account for City of Heroes you can now use it (and if you still have the code on your NCsoft master account, it is still valid to be used to create an account and give you 30 days of VIP status)

Also, you do not have to worry about not being able to play with EU or US friends, as they have now merged the regions (codes are still region locked, but you have access to both EU and US servers off the one account).

Any questions, dont hesitate to ask :D

Your friendly Gangrel
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
Re: City of Heroes, now free to play!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 04:36:50 PM »
Got a question: when is Tabula Rasa going to be F2P? ;)
<•><•<>•><•>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<•><•<>•><•>

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2012, 01:23:00 AM »
BTW, while we are waiting for GW2, we are playing CoX again, on Union Server and are having a lot of fun.
We are: me, Grichmann and System_Cruch. Join us ^^

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 03:59:15 PM »
City of Heroes took a nosedive.

NC Soft decided to close a game and Paragon studio due to it not generating enough profit.

Another good game shot down by NC Soft :(

They haven't even finished an incarnate system fully.

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2012, 08:58:13 PM »
City of Heroes took a nosedive.

NC Soft decided to close a game and Paragon studio due to it not generating enough profit.

Another good game shot down by NC Soft :(

They haven't even finished an incarnate system fully.

Just to point out that if you read the press release, they don't mention anything about CoX not making enough profit.

Instead they have said:

"Both NCsoft and Paragon Studios are incredibly proud of the success of City of Heroes, but unfortunately, the continued support of the franchise no longer fits within our long term goals for the company. All employees at Paragon Studios are affected by this decision, including the management team.

We will begin the City of Heroes sun setting process immediately with the goal to officially stop our service offerings for the franchise on November 30, 2012.

This was a very tough decision to make and wish the best for all Paragon Studio employees in their next ventures."

People have been trying to work out *exactly* what the reason behind shutting the game down was. I honestly don't know the reason (wish I did though, trust me, I wish I knew properly!).

Several theories being thrown around (no particular order to be honest):

1) Game engine licensing problems from Cryptic/Perfect World/Atari
2) Stupidity
3) Got generating enough funds to cover the costs of running CoX *and* also developing another MMO
4) The purchase of another company over in Asia made NCsoft hit the red *once* and that shocked the higher up's who then went "cut costs NAO!" kinda thing
5) More Stupidity
6) Something completely unknown and why they shuttered the studio immediately, and stopped taking monies

Aye, it was a good game, but looking back over the past financials COX was gradually loosing revenue (it was bringing in around $800K/month but it was decreasing quarter on quarter... i honestly don't know if it was a case of "cut now before you actually *do* start loosing money"...

*shrugs* And i am still going to the EU CoX player meet as well next weekend.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!