Author Topic: Its a secret!  (Read 3269 times)

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
  • Making thrax-spanking an artform.....
Its a secret!
« on: April 08, 2012, 03:21:02 PM »
Holy cow you are not going to believe this but I have stumbled across not one but THREE conspiracies! 

I have to be quick, though, because I have reason to believe that "They" are out to get me!  (and yes by "they" I mean "them")

Now don't go spreading this around but it seems that there is this Secret World out there ( http://thesecretworld.com/ ) hiding three tippy-top-secret cabals!

You did not hear it from me but the Illuminati are real and they want to do what they do every night and try to take over the world.  With them either you are at the table or on the menu!

I can't believe I'm telling you this but another faction calling themselves 'Templars' are nominally a force for good but it is the kind of good that believes that you have to break some eggs in order to make an omelet and boy does it suck 2 B U if you are one of those eggs!  Beware!

Then there is this shadowy group of bad-ass ninja types who call themselves the "Dragons" who are determined to make sure that no faction or force ever gains a definitive advantage over any other.  They are as powerful as they are mysterious... or maybe they are just very disorganized and confused.  Snappy dressers though!

DARK DAYS ARE COMMING!   -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
Re: Its a secret!
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 11:13:16 AM »
Going to move this to the "Other games" section... better suited there.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2012, 02:38:43 PM »
I've done some research on the subject, and you know what's odd? It looks like the news are spreading out. I'm not sure if they're for real, but I've been seeing these types all over New York, London and Seoul. They might be posers, of course, but I don't think so. I think there's some high-tech involved, like they're cyborgs or something! You wouldn't believe what I've seen them do with a sword - and it's not like a single sword master, I've seen at least a dozen guys like that! And it's not even the weirdest **** I've seen. Some of it is straight-up metaphisical, like magic or something. Crazy. And for societies that are supposedly are about subterfuge and control from the shadows, that looks like too strong a focus on combat.

I'm scared to think what that might mean.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 07:56:44 AM »
On a less in-character note, the game releases in a little over a week, and has been offering beta weekends. I've participated in those, and I'm frankly torn about the game. It's a mission-driven MMOG that plays fairly true to the formula: there's regular open-world missions that you do, mostly, but not necessarily, alone, there are instanced dungeons you play from start to finish with a team of 4 others, the tank/healer/damage model seems to apply, and there's structured, 3-side PvP. And a main quest line. Do whatever you like, more or less. Nothing particularly unusual, with two exceptions.

The first is the missions themselves. Only a minority of them seen in the areas showcased during the beta weekends revolve around simply killing enemies. When they do, they try to add a spin to the task, like getting a unique method of killing those enemies, or additional hazards, or simply having to look for specific, named enemies. However, there are also investigation missions, where you basically solve puzzles and follow clues with no additional indication on where to go. These clues can be somewhat esoteric, and require out-of-game knowledge and/or Google-fu. Aside from that, there are sabotage missions, which are basically more straight-forward investigation missions, with stages where you have to navigate trapped areas or avoid stepping under a camera.
The second is how you advance. Instead of the usual race/class selection and levels, you get a completely free-form character: you'll still get experience, which grants you points you use to acquire abilities. Thing is, you can only have 7 active and 7 passive abilities on you at any time, but you can change them around whenever you like. That way, you'll eventually have enough to unlock everything.

And my current opinion is, strangely enough, that the game's too combat-heavy for its own good. Investigation missions are awesome, the setting is really cool - so much that they remind me of VtM: Bloodlines. But everything is bogged down by one of the clunkiest combat systems I've seen, despite only having 7 ability buttons to worry about at any one time. That is not helped by most enemies being unreasonably tough and there simply being too many of them.
Also I'm starting to avoid other players. Puzzles are simply not a very good activity to share with strangers, especially when they're tied together by any kind of plot. This is probably the first MMOG I've seen that I really want not to be an MMOG.

Take that as you will. I like the game, but then again, there are very few games that I don't like. If you're okay with the mission-driven MMOG formula, don't mind puzzles being an important part of the gameplay and can tolerate weak combat, you'll like the game. Otherwise, probably not worth it.

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 01:44:13 AM »
Have yet to try the beta weekends so i cannot say how it plays.

However, i have been *heavily* turned off by its subscription cost.

$14.99: This is the standard for US MMO Subscriptions
€14.99: This is €2 above what other MMO's charge in Europe (roughly speaking)
£12.99: This is £4 above what other MMO's charge in the UK. Even Eve Online is now cheaper (only £9.99/month)... hell, even Champions Online is only £8.99+VAT... which comes out to £10.79ish.

I *honestly* cannot see myself paying £40 for a game, and then paying a sub fee 45% more expensive than other games.

(side note: The sub fee's i got from their Gameplay page.. if they are actually different, then i wish they would make it more obvious)
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 01:54:19 AM »
I have a code if you want to give it a try - you'll probably make it into what's left of this weekend. Might be your best chance of getting anything resembling a free trial.

Also, considering how many MMOG's have converted to the free-to-play model and how successful Funcom's conversions have been in particular, it's probably not too much to expect TSW to do the same, and rather soon™, especially considering there's already a microtransaction infrastructure built in.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 10:35:48 PM »
$14.99: This is the standard for US MMO Subscriptions
€14.99: This is €2 above what other MMO's charge in Europe (roughly speaking)
£12.99: This is £4 above what other MMO's charge in the UK. Even Eve Online is now cheaper (only £9.99/month)... hell, even Champions Online is only £8.99+VAT... which comes out to £10.79ish.

Not to forget, 14.99€ are $18.85. While $14.99 are only 11.92€. At least they somewhat calculate the £. But again, $14.99 are £9.62

*takes a look down in the cellar ... yes, my gaming is rotting fine down there ...*
<•><•<>•><•>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<•><•<>•><•>

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2012, 07:24:22 PM »
OK, Beta Weekend #4 is over and the game goes live next week.  I did not get as much time with the game as I wanted but I believe there is lots of potential here.  The attention to detail is pretty impressive as is ambiance.   I took some time to sit in a London intersection and just watch the activity around me and the day/night cycles.  The combat is going to take some getting used to but I am going to give it a chance.  I did not try an PvP because I still suck. 

Stay tunes.

(P.S.  Should have some solid updates on World of Darkness this year)
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 08:47:16 PM »
BTW, in game my handle is Luca Loquax.  Feel free to say 'hi'.

/salute
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 10:51:12 PM »
I really think the game is rushed, much like swtor, and i blame EA for it. Whould be interesting to see where this game will be in a half of year from the launch.

If you are a fan of yuri do the following:

1. make a cute dragon girl.
2. skip to the part where you meet a lady in red.
3. Profit ;-)

« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 04:58:55 PM by Mironov »

Offline Ronnan

• Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2012, 05:59:09 PM »
I had been looking forward to this a year or two ago when I first heard about it and the idea of non-level based skill systems seemed interesting. But having played during one of the beta's, I found it to be only "okay," which is not a bad thing. Also, I found the combat to be a bit disconnected, if that makes any sense, and the animations seemed "off." That coupled with that ridiculous sub fee (which even though it's been reduced is still too high) and a pay store right off the bat, means no secret world for me.

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2012, 12:16:11 AM »
TaRa was the very first MMO I had ever played. I bought the game on a lark thinking it was a Steam-Punk flight combat thing.   I had no idea how good I had had it until it was gone and had to go find something else.  It actually felt like "Real" fighting!  So far trying to grind in TSW is mostly just mindless button-mashing but I"m going to give it a fair try.

-LY
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:09:26 PM »
Mindless button-mashing...

I REALLY want to like this game but they are not making it easy.  So far, as best I can tell, you target an enemy, mash the 'fire weapon' button, wait for the cool down, and mash the fire weapon button again.

The guns in TSW have a dumbed-down version of the TaRa 'sticky reticule' but with none of the satisfaction of an actual trigger.  Combat, thus consists of waiting for cooldowns rather than running and gunning.

Holy cow do I miss running around in grav armor with my beloved, long-lost purp rocket launcher.

/sigh   -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 06:56:03 AM »
Holy cow do I miss running around in grav armor with my beloved, long-lost purp rocket launcher.

You're not alone ... (almost) one shotting E1 mobs was always fun with a physical RL.
<•><•<>•><•>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<•><•<>•><•>

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2012, 12:34:11 AM »
TSW was up on Steam 50% off.  Not a good sign.  I really wanted this one to work.  Pitty.

-L

P.S.  Skyrim Rox, too bad there is no multi. I'd love to team up and gank a dragon... just to say we did.    w00t!
If it moves, shoot it!