Author Topic: Defiance  (Read 2105 times)

Offline Mironov

• Gunnery Sergeant
  • Rise and shine!
Re: Defiance
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 02:25:32 AM »
Would be interesting to check it out and compare with some other MO shooters.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2013, 02:58:06 PM »
I got access to the game for this weekend. Not particularly impressed so far, but I can't say it's bad. Seems to sit somewhere between Firefall and GW2 and have trouble deciding whether it wants quasi-realistic Battlefield-style gameplay, or to take the chaotic, run and gun approach of games like Red Faction Guerilla and Saints Row.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2013, 09:14:21 AM »
Well, that was unexpected. I actually liked it. It's by no means a breakthrough, an original or even particularly inspired game, but it's not bad at all. It actually feels a good deal like TR with its design cleaned up and remade as a proper shooter. In fact, a few weapons feel like they were lifted almost directly. Did people from Destination Games end up in Trion or something?
Not without its shortcomings, but the only major complaint I have is its overreliance on critical hits (i. e. headshots) - they deal something like 5 times the damage of a regular hit, so shooting even the simplest enemies in the body quickly becomes more or less useless. Otherwise, it's not a very complex game.

I'll write up a more complete overview of what I've seen so far and have it posted by tonight, maybe tomorrow. Want me to cross-post the (probably 1000 words or so) wall of text here?

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2013, 06:51:41 PM »
I'll write up a more complete overview of what I've seen so far and have it posted by tonight, maybe tomorrow. Want me to cross-post the (probably 1000 words or so) wall of text here?

Yes!

Anyways, complex games become boring real quickly. Remember UT99 oder Q3A? They were plain simple multiplayer shooters. All following UT titles became more and more complex with more and more 'options' you could perform. DA FUQ! In the end it was too much to remember to have fun anymore, it became stressful work.
<ē><ē<>ē><ē>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<ē><ē<>ē><ē>

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2013, 07:06:21 PM »
My two favourite games are still Doom and Heretic, so yeah. I can appreciate a simple game. Overcomplication is a bad thing. Then again, there's X-COM.

But anyway, here you go. 1500 words you might probably want to go read at the blag.

I started the game with low expectations ó the show/game connection canít be more than a gimmick, we already have two great action-oriented MMOGs in Firefall and Guild Wars 2 . The initial impressions were not very good, either ó weíre a bounty hunter/scavenger type on an airship, we meet Mr. Old Soldier, Mr. Arsehole Scientist (nearly every other character feels the need to point out that he is indeed an arsehole, so he must be one!), and Ms. Fanservice, the ship crashes, we get a tutorial, pick one of the four abilities (seriously, there are four: invisibility, decoy, a speed boost and a power boost ó all self-explanatory) in the game, and start chasing after a MacGuffin through a string of linear storyline quests, optionally putting it on indefinite hold to do sidequests or open-world stuff. Nothing we havenít seen before. This is definitely not a breakthrough. Itís not original. Iíll even go so far as to call it uninspired. Iíll also go so far as to call it competent, but letís take things one at a time.

The interesting stuff seems to be the background of the story: the aliens are apparently refugees from a dying solar system who crashed their terraforming equipment into Earth, had a short war with the humanity when they were refused the right to settle, rendering the planet a sort-of post-apocalyptic not-quite wasteland. That could actually be interesting, going by the limited information I have.

The first few hours in the game are surprisingly confusing for a game this simple ó the different weapon and shield types should be obvious, but they somehow arenít, the interface is clunky and overly console-friendly ó not Final Fantasy XIV-level console-friendly, but close. What do all those words being thrown around mean? Whatís with the Arkfall things? Why do the weakest enemies take so long to die? Whatís with the upgrade slots on my gun or that elemental damage thing? Why does my gun have experience? Youíll probably need to read a guide to understand the mechanics, and watch the show to follow the plot.

However, if you can get past all the confusion, Defianceís strengths start becoming apparent. All those weapon types are essentially meaningless, since the weapons themselves are all custom-made and can vary wildly within the same type: Iíve had a burst-firing machinegun, an accurate machinegun, four different kinds of rocket launcher, and so on ó it took me a while to figure out that they can be so different, and even then I had to randomly try out a seemingly-inferior gun, only to find out itís better at killing dudes than the one I had before.

The game certainly isnít complex, however, best illustrated by the equipment and character trait systems: there are indeed only four active abilities, and only one can be equipped at any given time. Plus two weapons (which you have to switch between, no dual-wielding), a grenade (that works as a secondary activated ability with a 30-second cooldown), and an energy shield. And a number (nine, I think?) of perks that provide situational bonuses like extra damage when crouching, or faster reloading when standing still. Thereís no hidden depth to discover, but the variety of stuff to try out can keep you interested for a while.

The character progression system is also simplistic: standard experience used for unlocking perks you get for pretty much everything, and skills with each weapon type you get for using those weapons. There is a quirk, however: each individual weapon has its own XP bar, and when that fills up, it gets an extra attribute, but you can no longer gain skill XP for that weapon class. This keeps you on the lookout for new weapons to try, and encourages trying different weapon and mod configurations. There is also an overall combat rating, which seems to unlock new weapon types (there are 14 in total, although some can easily be merged into more general ones), perk slots and functions as a compound stat of experience level, skill levels and achievement points. This seems to be the only form of vertical progression in the game, as I havenít seen much difference in item stats.

Missions are organised quite similarly to traditional MMOGs: thereís a main story line, side missions, extra activities, open-world events, the usual. However, most of these take place right in the open world, so players are free to jump in and out as they please. The missions themselves are almost always objective-based and never call for simply killing a certain amount of enemies or gathering a certain number of generic items ó at worst itíll be fighting a few scripted waves of enemies or interacting with a few items in a specific order. Another highlight are a sort of minigames where you compete for points by fighting enemies with a specific weapon, or vehicle time trials. Those certainly feel out of place in an MMOG and are more reminiscent of GTA-style freeroaming games, but once again, I canít call them bad. There are also fairly traditional instanced ďdungeonsĒ that seem disconnected from the main storyline. Theyíre okay. I donít like instanced content in MMOGs. I can tolerate these.

As for the gameplay itself, itís solid third-person shooter action. Run around, duck behind cover, throw grenades, shoot things. Nothing unusual again. Notably, the game seems to run honest bullet spread simulation (on shotguns, too), and the AI enemies will throw grenades to smoke you from behind cover, can be snuck up on and will keep shooting at the last spot they saw a cloaking character at. Theyíre still stupid, but itís impressive for an MMOG. Not that there arenít drawbacks: shooting around corners or over short cover can be a bit wonky, and the damage boost for attacking enemies weak spots is so big thereís nearly no point in just shooting even standard mooks anywhere but the head. Even taking that in mind, enemies are tough (probably too tough) and come in large numbers, so playing alone can be a chore. Unless thereís a reason to stay in earlier areas, expect them to be deserted soon after release, and try to find someone to play with.

Thereís also PvP, but from what I hear, itís the snipe-fest youíd expect, although the one time I tried it, I was quite successful at blasting guys with a shotgun. Even the PC version has console-style auto-aim, even though it can fortunately be turned off, it makes things even less interesting to me.

All in all, Defiance is a solid and quite fun game despite its simplicity and shortcomings. It sort of feels like Tabula Rasa, if its design wasnít such a mess, and the focus was more on the shooting than on RPG elements. In fact, a few design decisions seem so similar that I suspect some people from Destination Games ended up in Trion. And itís sci-fi with no overt magic or psychic powers and a fairly mundane selection of technology.

I donít have high expectations for the show, either, knowing Syfyís reputation; but on the other hand, the one show that I did watch, I quite liked, and apparently a part of the crew from the new Battlestar Galactica (I didnít like that enough to watch past the miniseries) are involved, so thatís something. I doubt its connection with the game will amount to more than a few events from one mentioned in the other and game updates being tied to major events in the show, but who knows.

In the week left before release, thereís an ARG thing going on, where you can find codes in all sorts of promotional material and redeem them for minor in-game bonuses. Itís probably not going anywhere after release, and there are apparently 120 codes to collect. Just something to keep in mind if you decide to look into the game. Show. Whatever.

The game certainly isnít complex, however, best illustrated by the equipment and character trait systems: there are indeed only four active abilities, and only one can be equipped at any given time. Plus two weapons (which you have to switch between, no dual-wielding), a grenade (that works as a secondary activated ability with a 30-second cooldown), and an energy shield. And a number (nine, I think?) of perks that provide situational bonuses like extra damage when crouching, or faster reloading when standing still. Thereís no hidden depth to discover, but the variety of stuff to try out can keep you interested for a while.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2013, 09:54:55 PM »
Alright, roll call? Anyone else interested enough to grab the game? Because it's kind of difficult if you play alone, and after a day in the beta event, it was conspicuously empty.

Offline mdagli1

• Recruit
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2013, 03:36:50 PM »
Hi guys, I'm still about here.
Been testing Defiance rather intensely now for a few months and finally can now say a few things about it. However, I won't burden you with a wall of text and will just get straight to the point.

I will stand by my statement that it has potential, and it still does. Just don't expect it all at once upon release this Tuesday... (More like 10-20%)
The only thing I really like about it was the slightly improved graphics compared to 2001 and the advanced weapon minigames (Rampage) where you got to use a stupidly OP weapon to mow down as many mobs as you possible could. But for everything else, it won't be my TR replacement as I don't really have the patience any more to wait another several years of development.

However, apart from my observation of an industry in decline, my gaming desires are slowly starting to burnout too. 2 decades with a total clocked time between 10k-20k hours of play time is probably considered a bit much... lol
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 08:57:12 PM by mdagli1 »

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
  • Making thrax-spanking an artform.....
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2013, 10:07:05 PM »
Its a dog!  Its a cow!  Its Dogcow!  Dogcow sez: "Moof"!
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2013, 11:06:19 PM »
Watching the show before buying the game, its on tonight.  Looks like formulaic, predictable crap with hi production budget.  We'll C.  -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
Finally got around to watching the pilot. Not that good on VFX and sound fronts, story proper hasn't started yet, mostly exposition and establishing characters so far. But the sets are at least colourful. We'll have to see what they do with the premise and the characters.

Probably won't be the next best thing, but has potential to be entertaining. Right now, whatever.
Oh, and cheers for making the protagonists father and (adoptive, alien) daughter. That's worth a few extra points with me.

Offline mdagli1

• Recruit
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2013, 10:21:07 AM »
"I don't like the looks of that scaffolding! shoot it down." And then does nothing...

yeah nice one there, a military invading alien commander not getting a timely response from his forces. Bunch of noobs.

Offline Pvt. Grichmann

• Sergeant
    • Obscuregamers
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2013, 01:38:36 PM »
They did shoot it. Once or twice. Yeah. Those guys must've been pubbies.

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2013, 11:53:29 PM »
I've seen tough Thrax at the LZ CP for the love of mike.  They fought their "Pale War" for *how* long against those scrubs?   -L
If it moves, shoot it!

Offline Lasommbra

• Corporal
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2013, 07:45:37 PM »
ESKIMO!!!

^ Random.   -L
If it moves, shoot it!