Author Topic: game stutters  (Read 11654 times)

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
game stutters
« on: November 03, 2007, 12:30:23 AM »
Hiccups or stuttering can be caused by number of things besides game code.
Low memory, slow hard drives, excessive video option which runs out of video memory, small page file so more swapping in and off hard drive.

single core verus dual core.

some of the things you can to to improve things.

defrag hard drive
optimize your page file
more Ram
install faster drive
lower graphic setting (lower terrian details, flora, distance draw , shadows etc)
or get new card with more video memory.
reduce background programs
cleaner network connection

hiccups may never completely disappear but the above can help reduce it.

and as with any game problems open a ticket with support. They are trying to improve performace ,specially for single core cpus, but they need to know who's having problems, what problems and any specific details.
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline RiGoRmOrTiS

• Recruit First Class
  • Dead Hard!
Re: game stutters
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2007, 08:27:33 AM »
However! the majority of what people are complaining about is a game code problem.  The devs admitted as much before end of beta.

when running a performance RAID system and a graphics card with 512mb o' RAM.  and 2 gig of system memory.. .. even on a single core system; stuttering should be kept to a minimum.  by all means the processor might be a bottleneck for the overall frame rate.. but other than that.. it shouldn't cause stutters unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the game code.

never the less; everything you said is right.. those are all things you should do to improve performance :) just saying.. the devs can't ignore the problem at the moment :) most of the time its still their code.. not the user's PC :)

Current Characters: Koori Kaminari (Sniper) ...

Offline Callasan

• Staff Sergeant
  • SPAAAAACE KAAYDET
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2007, 05:16:56 AM »
Think the devs gave a clue as to what causes the stuttering in part, right before beta ended...

Remember reading a post about the graphics optimizations done from one of the code people (not Taytay, someone else with a oddball name) - he was talking about having to load certain textures into the card's VRAM in a certain order to avoid fragmenting the card's VRAM too much and causing worse stuttering.

Seems to me, if he's doing that a lot, there's the problem right there :)

In order to accomplish that, the card's VRAM would theoretically have to be cleard and the textures releoaded - if they're not compressed too well that would be a heckuva lot of data sent bursting downt he bus...and there's a stutter whuile it happened.

Just a theory...
The Eternal Recruit - Proud Member of Black Marks Anonymous - and proud of it!

There's only one latrine in all the A!F!S!

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2007, 05:24:06 AM »
Rustoleum would be the guy (concerning the gfx)
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Lerxt

• Recruit
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2007, 07:18:58 PM »
when running a performance RAID system and a graphics card with 512mb o' RAM.  and 2 gig of system memory.. .. even on a single core system; stuttering should be kept to a minimum.

this is the position I find myself in. 

I'm not about to improve my hardware, which should be just fine, to play a game that somehow gives me consistent stuttering with good framerates in between.  I can run any other game on my machine with no issues, including another prominent MMO, but T.R. is really, really annoying me right now.

I'm going to defrag my HDD's tonight, and maybe try a few of the other video options.  but, if this doesn't clear up in the next 30 days, my TR career is going to be a short one.

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2007, 07:40:49 PM »
I have a dual core with 2 gig ram under Win XP using a Geforce 7800 GTX -256 and I have no problem with stuttering.

If you have Vista  having just 2 Gig may not be enough ram for best performance in the game.

Offline Lerxt

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2007, 07:46:53 PM »
I have XP.

and I guess, at the end of the day, I feel like if you have a reasonable system (even single core), you should be able to run the game w/o stuttering.

if this game essentially requires a DC processor, then they need to say so.

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2007, 07:54:16 PM »
One of the things they mentioned during beta and was working on is that the code that handles loading terrain detail  has a small thread that preps the graphics memory for the new details every several feet of travel. (don't remember the exact distance) .
This code on dual cores gets loaded in the second core aways from the core rnning the main game code. This seems to reduce the stutter on the dual cores. They  were working on improving this performance on single core systems.

Which is why I say open a ticket with support as a /bug so they know your system specs and the degree of problems you are having as they work to improve this.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 07:58:28 PM by PegasusMD »

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2007, 02:27:11 PM »
Just wanted to add in:

I can confirm that the stuttering at least in my case is a processor core issue. I've got two computers to run TR on.

My desktop is an Athlon64 3200+ (2.2ghz), 2gb DDR400 RAM, 7200rpm 8mb buffer HD, and a Radeon X1950GT 256mb AGP.

My laptop is an Asus G1S with a Core2Duo T7400 (2.2ghz x 2), 2gb DDR667 RAM, 5400rpm HD, and a Geforce M8600GT 256mb.

The systems are very close in performance. My desktop's graphics are more powerful than the laptop, and the laptop's processor is more powerful than my desktop. Both get nearly the same score in 3dmark06 (4050 for desktop, 3950 for laptop). The only functional difference between the two is that the laptop is dual-core.

On the desktop (single core) there's regular stuttering. On the laptop... no stuttering. Both maintain about 30-40fps with settings at ultra and desktop res at 1024x768, and laptop at 1280x800.

I definitely think that the last thing Pegasus mentioned (streaming terrain detail) is the issue. The stuttering only happens when I'm moving my character. Standing in place and looking around = no stuttering at all. Combat is actually fine since combat movement is generally restricted to a smaller area... and hence no stuttering.

I'm really enjoying the game, even despite the stuttering on my desktop, but here's to hoping that they get the single core optimizations figured out ASAP. :D

Offline Stormshadow

• Staff Sergeant
  • hands gangrel a coffee and Rum
    • dance
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2007, 07:34:33 PM »
today my ping is 75  that  way low for me im normaly 300  and im studdering like mad can't move items from one bank to  my toon
Try to avoid questioning people's questions, especially leading to discussions

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/NergiZed/AwsomeDance.gif

Offline LeetClientel

• Lance Corporal
  • lll llllll
« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2007, 05:35:44 AM »
would a single core processor with hyper threading have less stuttering problems then a single core without hyper threading? I ask because I use a pentium 4 2.8 with HT and i dont notice any stuttering, I'm getting a new video card tomorrow (nVidia 8800 GT) so I'll be able to test this more better. right now i experience drops in FPS in high intensity areas (ortho base defense for example), but I'm guessing its because of my old video card (raedeon x300 lol)
50 spy
45 spy
41 spy
33 spy
31 sniper

Heartstone

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2007, 10:24:29 AM »
Hey!  Good post cause I've been having this problem myself...and haven't been able to figure the solution...and oddly my game stutters usually while I'm trying to turn...moving straight on is rarely a problem, although sometimes it does it in direct lines.

My rig:

Athlon XP 3000+ on a MSI K8T Neo MB
2 GB DDR400 RAM
Radeon x1650 Pro 512 MB gfx card

I've tried defragging the drive TR is on and it really didn't help much.  Anyone have any other suggestions or a solution for this setup?

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2007, 06:02:08 PM »
Yes a single core with HT acts close dual core without HT . So it would display less stuttering. Also old sound cards and drivers can contribute to stuttering as the buss and processor is delayed by the sound being processed. You can check to see if the sound contributing to the stutter by disabling sound and test.

Heartstone

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2007, 08:07:58 PM »
Yes a single core with HT acts close dual core without HT . So it would display less stuttering. Also old sound cards and drivers can contribute to stuttering as the buss and processor is delayed by the sound being processed. You can check to see if the sound contributing to the stutter by disabling sound and test.

Hmm hadn't thought of that..it's a Audigy II Pro I believe...wonder if that's old enough to qualify..lol..

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #14 on: December 11, 2007, 08:10:21 PM »
If its a seperate soundcard, then it shouldnt be causing any issues. Still best though to check for driver updates
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!