Author Topic: Crafting 101  (Read 32826 times)

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
Crafting 101
« on: November 08, 2007, 08:39:35 PM »
Its been kind of suggested elsewhere that someone, somewhere, compile a brief guide to crafting so that people can come to grips with the system a little better and make use of some of the benefits of the system without making any costly mistakes.  As one of the newbies here who has confessed to using the system to pretty heavily augment their character, I figured it might be worth me stepping up to the plate and taking a swing at it.

Its worth noting before continuing that the crafting system is often referred to as being in development at the moment, so please just use this guide as a primer, I make no guarantees that things are going to remain the same.

In the beginning.....

There were schematics.

The exact drop rates for these things is unknown, and I have to confess I have not really done any real study into how and when they drop, and from where.
I have noticed however, that I seem to collect more of them from mobs which are significantly lower level than I am, possibly because they have a very low sell value (typically 15-25 credits each) and so if you're desperate for a few schematics, id recommend farming somewhere along the lines of the Landing Zone where during a "defense run" you can probably take out between 20 and 30 of these things without all the hassle of running around looking for them.

At present you can only obtain 3 kinds of schematic.  Each schematic allows you to build or upgrade an item using certain ingredients, provided you have adequate skills to do so.  For your convenience a schematic will read ingredient levels from your backpack to give you an indication of what ingredients you need to find, purchase, or recover from your footlocker.

1) Dyes.   
  If you have played for more than 5 minutes, the odds are good that you have already picked up a dye schematic.  Because of the huge number of different colours available dye schematics are probably one of the most common youll find out there, and will net you 25 credits as standard when sold.

Dye Ingredients
Dyes require 1 bonding agent as standard, along with a mixture of pigments, and do not require any skills to produce, and when crafted successfully (theres currently a 100% success rate, although this may change) will provide you with 10 uses of that colour.

2) Supplies By supplies I mean anything from a stack of ammunition to stacks of medicine.  Some even just allow you to convert a basic form of item to a more advanced version,  for example a Medical Grade Pharmaceuticals schematic will allow you to convert your cheap and easily farmed "consumer grade pharmaceuticals" in to the much more useful Medical Grade Pharmaceuticals.   

Supply Ingredients
These schematics tend to rely on scavenged materials like micromeshes, scrap metal, electronics and the like.  From experience I have found that its a waste of cash to buy the parts to make these, as the ingredient costs tend to seriously outweigh the profits from what you make.  If you are going to make any supplies using schematics, make sure its with materials you have looted on your travels, its just not cost effective otherwise.
These types of items will typically require you to have some skill points invested in either Chemistry, Genetics Photonics, Thermodynamics or some combination of a few of them.  Success rates for these items also appears to be 100% for the time being.

*nb* The detonator trigger schematic available from most crafting NPC's appears to be useless at present.  Having carried 50 units of these around for some time, ive yet to find something i can use it on, and in those missions where you need to blow something up, you wont be able to use them.

3) Mods and Upgrades These are possibly the most useful, and least understood craftable item, and also the reason for scribbling together this primer.
Mod schematics do exactly what they say on the tin, they permit you to modify or upgrade a peice of armour, or weapon to boost its effectiveness, and can contribute to anything from improving your resistances to certain types of damage, reducing your threat rating or improving your regeneration rates.
These modules typically specify what they can be used on, and are always restricted by level.  Beyond this they can be very specific eg:
For use on Stealth Armour up to level 30, 

or very vague eg:
For use on any weapon under level 15.

They can also come with skill requirements, including both the skills mentioned previously for supplies, and also an ability with the item you plan on upgrading.

Mod Ingredients.

Mod components are what confuse most players.  Often they see a requirement for an "accoustic baffle" which they patiently hope will drop right up until the point where their ability to use the equipment they plan on upgrading increases enough that they no longer meet the level requirements for the mod.

I have to confess to making this mistake for a long time myself, until it was explained to me.

Mod components are dropped as part of other items, and it is up to you to salvage them out yourself.  They aren't (yet) available in any shops, they only come from other items, specifically, those items that have a green bonus.  Many items with a bonus will contain more than one mod ingredient, and you dont get to pick and choose, the system will attempt to remove them all, and output the results into your crafting hopper, completely destroying the original item, regardless of the outcome.

Once you have the ingredients, you can craft them directly into another item using a crafting station, at the risk of loosing the ingredients, the schematic AND the item you are trying to upgrade.  Ill discuss how to do this shortly.

And finally.....
Regardless of the outcome or type of schematic, all schematics are 1 shot only. Once you have used it, it is gone until you find another.

The Crafting Station

When you first open a crafting window with a crafting station youll be presented with a fairly bland window with 3 tabs down the right hand side, and 2 tabs along the bottom, labelled "Crafting" and "Crafted Items"

The Crafting tab is, as you would expect, where you do the bulk of your work, and Crafted Items is where the results are output.  The crafted items hopper has space for 12 items in total, and you can leave items in there to perform a stack of crafting jobs before removing the output.  I once accidentally left an item in the hopper and didnt find it again until much later.  This suggests that you might be able to leave things in there, but i wouldnt recommend it, and i REALLY wouldnt try logging off or using it as additional storage.

If you are performing a crafting job that would take your hopper over this limit, the job will stall.  At this point, open the crafted items tab and remove items to make space for the new job, then start again.  Ive done this once or twice and so far it hasnt "charged" me for my mistake by automatically failing the job and eating my materials.

Along the right hand side are 3 tabs, labelled
Item Crafting
Upgrade Equipment
Disassemble Equipment.

Item Crafting

The first tab is where you will make dyes and supplies.  To use it, either right click on the schematic in your backpack, or drag it in to the schematic shaped box manually.  The ingredients will automatically be removed from your bag and listed underneath the schematic.
Once the schematic is loaded in, simply click the craft button for it to begin your job, which can last anywhere from 3 seconds (for some ammo types) to 12 seconds (about average for dyes).  A message will be sent to your chat window telling you how long the job will take, and a blue status bar will also appear at the bottom of the window to count down the job.   Once complete the crafted items are automatically added to your crafted items hopper for retrieval.
Items crafted in this way will cost a small fee, typically in the region of 1000 credits, although these costs vary with the effectiveness and quality of the item.

Upgrade Equipment

This window is not that dissimilar from its predecessor, except it has two boxes to fill, and is where you perform any item upgrades.  To use it, again simply right click the schematic to load it, or drag and drop it, and the basic ingredients will be added for you.  You will then be prompted for an item to upgrade.  At this point you will need to select an item from your backpack (removing it from your character first, if you're wearing it) and drop it in the second window. 
The craft continues as before, but this time you have a 12.5% chance to critically fail the job and loose everything.  Additionally, there is an approx 27.5% chance your upgrade wont work at all, and you loose the schematic and ingredients, but will retain the original item.  An item modified in this way will look the the same as before, but will have the bonus listed in green, and will state in blue "Modified by: <playername>"
Items upgraded in this way typically gain 5% on which ever stat you were attempting to improve. 

Dissassembly

This window is almost identical to the first, except this time rather than inputting schematics to build, you are inputting items to break down.

Once you have selected an item to break down, youll find a list of items appears in the lower window.  Unlike dyes and supplies, where this list tells you which items are being used, the list in this window instead displays which mods are in your item and provides a percentage chance of you recovering that item.

One individual item can contain anywhere from one ingredient to 3 or 4, and they are generally listed in descending order of how likely they are to be removed. 

The chance of successfully retrieving an ingredient depends on the level of the mod it is associated with.  Many thanks to Khaine for pointing out the exact values, which are:

[4] Mods = 90% success
[3] Mods = 80% success
[2] Mods = 70% success
[1] Mods = 60% success

Each mod takes 5 seconds to remove, and you only recieve 1 of each ingredient.  When disassembling items containing 2 or more ingredients, its possible to see immediately how many of the ingredients you recovered by monitoring your chat window.  For each item recovered, there will be a white message will state that recovering that item will take 5 seconds.
Eg, if 1 item is recovered, this message will appear once, if 2 are recovered, it will appear twice and so on.

I should also note that in general you are a lot more likely to recover a rare ingredient if it is the only ingredient in what you are disassembling.  Whilst the percentages are supposed to be calculated seperately, I have noticed that almost every disassembly envolving a rare ingredient and a common one will return the common one but not the rare, but im almost always successful when that rare item is found on its own.

Once the disassembly job is complete, any recovered ingredients will be deposited in the crafted items hopper for collection, and in most cases, this means you are now the proud owner of a pink box.

Because of the sheer number of different ingredients you can recover in this manner, I would strongly recommend you learn the specific components you require to perform the upgrades you want only.  At one point, before i learned to be more selective, my footlocker was 3/4 full of pink boxes.  Whilst these items do stack, the system will not automatically stack them for you, and it can be very awkward to try and keep these things in any large number.  Being more selective will also free up more items for sale to NPC's which means more money for you....

I hope you have found this primer on the basics of crafting useful.  A more advanced guide is in the works, and should be posted as soon as ive had more time to really work on the system and develop the stats and figures.
Crafting can help you work on your munition supplies and significantly improve your effectiveness with nothing more than the random loot and garbage found on your daily travels, and is currently available to any character regardless of your choices in profession.

EDIT: 30/12/07
Modding Chances

Here's a list of the percentage chance to add a mod to an item by Colour.  The first number is the chance to successfully add a mod.  The second number is the chance of critically failing and loosing all materials and items.  Figures listed as "?" have not yet been tested/recorded yet.
These chances apply only to the specific mod you are applying, and dont count overall,  therefore a grey weapon with 3 mods at level 2 and one at lvl 1 will have the same chance to raise that last mod to lvl 2 as a rifle with 4 mods at level 1. 

Mod Level .|. Grey  .|. Green .|.  Blue  .|. Purple
1  .|. 100% / 0%   .|. 100% / 0% .|. 100% / 0%   .|. 100% / 0%
2  .|. 43% / 14%   .|. 86% / 3% .|. 100% / 0%   .|. 100% / 0%
3  .|. 18% / 20%   .|. 36% / 16% .|. 72% / 7%   .|. 100% /  0%
4  .|. 8% / 23?%   .|. 15% / 21% .|. 30% / 17%   .|. 60% / 10%
5  .|. 3% / ?%   .|. 6% / 23% .|. 13% / 21%   .|. 25% / 18%

From excessive experimentation it looks like we were slightly off on our assumptions about maximum mod levels on items.  Initially we guessed that the maximum mod level was determined by the total of each mod level added up, but this actually appears to be wrong.  From early experimentation it looks like items may actually work like skills and have a total number of "mod points" much like pump levels.

In this way, a green shot gun i was playing around with earlier died on its final upgrade to the following levels:

[3] (or equivalent of 6 skill points if considered as pump levels, eg 1 (lvl 1) plus 2 (lvl 2) plus 3 (lvl 3) = 6)
[3] (or 6)
[2] (or 3)
[1] (or 1)

from previous levels [3][2][2][1]

This gives us a total of 16. "skill points" which i would guess is the maximum as i was not able to upgrade it to [4] [2] [2] [1]  but was permitted to go for [3][3][2][1]  as per the example.   It is safe, however to assume that the maximum number of "skill points" for a green weapon (if correct) is 16, as a result of playing with the maths involved.

[4][2][2][1] = 17 "points" and was refused, [3][3][2][1] = 16 and was acceptable.

Working along these lines, i hope to be able to duplicate the results for another green item, and then will try to do the same for grey, blue and purple as and when theres enough schematics and materials available to commence further tests.

EDIT: 19/01/08

Many thanks to Knight for the following list of upgrade mods and their associated effects when used with the relevant schematics.  Its included here with his permission, and is a very concise (and in my experience, accurate) list of all the mods you could possibly need. 

color code
red = weapon only
green = armor only
blue = more than 1 type (weapon, armor and or tool)

The list contains the mod type, effect and the name of the component that is needed for the schematic or that is received when trying to extract that type of mod from a weapon

Some effects increase based on item and/or schematic level but I'm not sure if its just item level, just schematic level or a combination.
For example a lvl 50 item with steal armor can get over +700 steal armor but a lvl 15 item will only get maybe +40 steal armor
If someone can confirm that its based on item level, schematic level or both that would be helpful

Armor Piercing
Weapon: Phase Shifter
Effect: 2% / lvl

Crit Chance
Weapon: Analytical Targeting Computer
Effect: 1% / lvl

Perceive Threat
Weapon: Cloaking Module
Effect : 20% / level

Steal Adrenaline
Weapon: Catecholamine Synthesizer
Effect : Increases with item/schematic level

Steal Armor
Weapon: Recoil Capacitor

Steal Health
Weapon: Vitality Conduit
Effect: Increases with item/schematic level

Steal Power
Weapon: Tau Shunt
Effect: +2 / level

Reduce Resist
Weapon only
Physical: Kinetic Shield Inverter
EMP: Pulse Shield Inverter
Laser: Photonic Shield Inverter
Sonic: Kinetic Shield Suppresor
Electric: Electron Shield Inverter
Virulent: Microbiotic Shield Disruptor
Fire: Exothermic Shield Inverter
Ice: Endothermic Shield Inverter

Effect: level 1: -10 resist
levels 2, 3 and 4: extra -5 resist each level up to a maximum of -25

Regen
Weapon/Tool: Peptide Synthesizer
Armor: Biogenic Field Generator

Regen Armor
Weapon: Electron Distributor
Armor: Shield Regenerator

Weapon Effect: 10% / level
Armor Effect: 4% / level

Regen Health
Weapon: Biogenic Field Source
Armor: Cellular Repair Unit

Weapon Effect: 5% / level

Regen Power
Weapon: Tau Conduit
Armor: U-Field Link

Resist
Weapon
Physical: Kinetic Suppresor
EMP: Magnetic Shielding
Laser: Optic Deflector
Sonic: Acoustic Baffle
Electric: Electron Reflux Generator
Virulent: Adaptive Biofilter
Fire: Thermionic Convecter
Ice: Convection Device

Armor
Physical: Kinetic Buffer
EMP: Faraday Shielding
Laser: Photon Dispenser
Sonic: Shock Attenuator
Electric: Capacitance Shielding
Virulent: Shielded Biofilter
Fire: Thermal Insulator
Ice: Thermionic Compensator

Armor Effect: 2% / level

Body
Armor/Tool: Neuroprosthetic Exoskeleton

Mind
Armor/Tool: Adaptive Cortical Interface

Spirit
Armor/Tool: Aural Flexor

Power
Armor/Tool: Phi Regulator

Total Armor
Armor: Shield Capacitor
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 03:27:29 PM by Delusion »

www.piratesoup.net - Games, movies and randomness.

Offline Issachar

• Recruit
Re: Crafting 101
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2007, 08:57:05 PM »
AWESOME!  Thank you for that guide, Delusion.  I've been struggling quite a bit with this crafting system and am elated that someone was able to put something together.

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2007, 09:14:58 PM »
I'm glad i was able to help :)

Offline Issachar

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2007, 09:21:48 PM »
I have a question that you might be able to help with:

Do you know whether the number of pumps in each skill has any affect on the three types of crafting, i.e. moding, disassembly, and item crafting?

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2007, 09:25:05 PM »
I have a question that you might be able to help with:

Do you know whether the number of pumps in each skill has any affect on the three types of crafting, i.e. moding, disassembly, and item crafting?

That's what i'm currently working on testing :)

Provided the Bane dont turn up for real, i should have that info posted up here during the course of the weekend.

Offline Issachar

• Recruit
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2007, 09:27:42 PM »
Understood, looking forward to it.  Thanks again.

Offline overfloater

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2007, 10:06:29 PM »
Great starter guide, karma+1! :)   (almost deserves a second +1 for use of the Ronseal slogan ;) )

Offline Luckshot

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2007, 10:22:46 PM »
*nb* The detonator trigger schematic available from most crafting NPC's appears to be useless at present.  Having carried 50 units of these around for some time, ive yet to find something i can use it on, and in those missions where you need to blow something up, you wont be able to use them.

There were a few missions in beta where the supplied detonators were broken or not given and you had to make your own. "No miners allowed" for blowing up the drills was one. This seems to have been fixed.

I guess they left it so they wouldn't have a bunch of crafting npcs on the unemployment line.

Offline Khaine

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2007, 10:33:40 PM »
As a rule of thumb, items relating to basic resists, such as photon diverters (used in buffing laser resists) tend to be pretty easy to remove, and average around an 80-90% success rate.

Next ive found items relating to your health come next, with cellular peptide enhancers and the like weighing in at around 70-80% chance of being successfully removed.

Last come the ones relating to armour and power regen.  Shield regenerators, U-Links and Tau Conduits are amongst the hardest ingredients to track down, and typically only average 60% success rate.

When I was testing Dissasembly just before the end of Beta the Success Rates were dependant on the 'Rank' of the Mod not the type of Mod

[4] Mods were generally 90% success
[3] Mods were generally 80% success
[2] Mods were generally 70% success
[1] Mods were generally 60% success

Unfortunately I haven't been able test recently (Real Life commitments). Is this still the case ?

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2007, 12:12:00 AM »

When I was testing Dissasembly just before the end of Beta the Success Rates were dependant on the 'Rank' of the Mod not the type of Mod

[4] Mods were generally 90% success
[3] Mods were generally 80% success
[2] Mods were generally 70% success
[1] Mods were generally 60% success

Unfortunately I haven't been able test recently (Real Life commitments). Is this still the case ?

Ahhh i hadnt made that connection, thanks dude, ill edit that in to the guide now, ive just doublechecked in game, its still correct :)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:15:04 AM by Delusion »

Offline kenoxite

• Corporal
  • Server: Centaurus / Surname: Heinlein
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2007, 09:56:51 AM »
Nice guide, man.
Just one thing: could you PLEASE change the blue color you're using to a lighter one? Right now it's almost impossible to read with the dark grey used as background color.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 09:58:40 AM by kenoxite »

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2007, 10:26:59 AM »
Nice guide, man.
Just one thing: could you PLEASE change the blue color you're using to a lighter one? Right now it's almost impossible to read with the dark grey used as background color.

not a problem, consider it done.

Offline kenoxite

• Corporal
  • Server: Centaurus / Surname: Heinlein
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2007, 10:37:15 AM »
Way better. And with a spaniard flavour now ;D

Offline Stormshadow

• Staff Sergeant
  • hands gangrel a coffee and Rum
    • dance
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2007, 12:45:35 PM »
got a Q i got a clone lvl 22 with max  crafts  exept  medical.
  5/5  does what ? i still have same  fail rate  and same enchant  on a item  (ie 1/5  i get +6  Fire Resist  5/5 i get same +6 FR) is this a bug  or content they forgot to use  yet

ps im at 47 mats  i found so far  just for enchantment

easyest ways to  have a toon set up is keep the  mats  on your toon and  when u de any item it auto loots them into your bag when u loot all no sorting

u can keep the resipies in the locker since it can read  if u got the mats  or not  on your toon doesn't work other way

PPS

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e179/petacat/crafter.gif
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:55:55 PM by Stormshadow »
Try to avoid questioning people's questions, especially leading to discussions

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/NergiZed/AwsomeDance.gif

Offline Delusion

• Evul Genius™
  • Public Helper
  • Sergeant
  • MEDIC!!!!
    • PirateSoup
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2007, 12:52:23 PM »
got a Q i got a clone lvl 22 with max  crafts  exept  medical.
  5/5  does what ? i still have same  fail rate  and same enchant  on a item  (ie 1/5  i get +6  Fire Resist  5/5 i get same +6 FR) is this a bug  or content they forgot to use  yet

ps im at 47 mats  i found so far  just for enchantment

easyest ways to  have a toon set up is keep the  mats  on your toon and  when u de any item it auto loots them into your bag when u loot all no sorting

u can keep the resipies in the locker since it can read  if u got the mats  or not  on your toon doesn't work other way

ive not tested a full 5/5 yet, im just working my way through from 1/5 to 3/5 testing at mo, and have spent a lot of time trying to get schematics to test with, but i think ive noticed the same thing with success rates and bonus's
Its beginning to look like you need the higher skills purely to be able to add upgrades to higher level items, but until ive done a few more runs im not sure its really fair to say "this is the way it is".... i may just have had a bad night

Id also consider taking your suggestion a step further by adding that in addition to using a storage clone to hold materials, it may also be worth setting up a clone to work on nothing but crafting.  I was lucky when originally starting in that i messed up with my biotechnican and didnt clone before the first teir jump.  Once she hits the next teir jump ill use that credit to create a pure crafting character which should have enough skill points to max out each skill.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 12:59:07 PM by Delusion »