Author Topic: Crafting 101  (Read 32446 times)

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
Re: Crafting 101
« Reply #120 on: February 22, 2008, 07:51:12 AM »
Using the above example, on average you'd have a 3 in 4 chance to upgrade your item to [3][3][3], but I won't blame you for not trying those odds ;)

I'm curious about the 50% chance of success and 20% chance to destroy, does your crafter not have a maxed out skill in Thermodynamics? Or do the percentages change at lvl 50? Come to think of it, what IS the level of your crafter?
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein
Common sense is not so common. -Voltaire

Offline Omni

• Corporal
« Reply #121 on: February 22, 2008, 09:17:19 PM »
Omni, your problem with upgrading a blue item to include a [5] mod (or a green to include a [4] mod, or a grey to include a [3] mod) are that the chance nothing will happen when you try to upgrade the item are actually bigger than the chances of either succeeding or failing combined: 100%-13%-21%=66%. It will take you at least 8 attempts to let the cumulative chance of nothing happening drop below 5% and on each of those attempts, the odds of breaking the item vs succeeding to upgrade are roughly 3:2 (leading to the cumulative 61.7%:38.2% of breaking:succeeding).

Basically you're gambling a losing game atm and every time the percentage of nothing happening is greater than 50% (e.g. blue to [5], green to [4], grey to [3]) it will take a lot longer to get a conclusive result (defined as the cumulative chance of nothing happening dropping below 5%: 10 tries for 100-X-Y=74%, 5 tries for 100-X-Y=slightly below 55%). It's not the actual percentages as reported by the crafting station that are frustrating your attempts to upgrade but the gap between those percentages.

The current implementation of crafting appears to be designed so you'll get a quick result once you put one step beyond the realm of certain upgrades (green to [2]: 2 tries for 95% chance on either succeeding or breaking, blue to [3]: 2 tries, purple to [4]: 3 tries, grey: 4 tries) but getting definitive results beyond that point takes a lot longer (green to [3]: 5 tries, to [4]: 7 tries, to [5]: 9 tries; blue to [4]: 5 tries, blue to [5]: 8 tries; purple to [5]: 4 tries; grey to [3]: 7 tries). Meanwhile the odds against you are piling up...

Of course there will always be lucky b'stards who get their unlikely successes but for each of those there will be countless failures. Crafters who are in it for the extra money should think twice before playing the odds, if they want to get rich by trading that is ^^

Okay so going to [5] on a blue item isn't impossible, it's just SUPER SUPER SUPER ALMOST NEARLY TOTALLY OMGWTF kinda-sorta impossible.  :P lol  I guess I won't find out just how rare/hard it is to go to 5 sincle I cancelled :( hopefully they freeze my account in case I come back at a later date?

31 Medic  /  30 Exo / 17 Ranger  /  15 Commando / 15 Sapper

Offline Gangrel

• Caffine Junkie
  • Administrator
  • Second Lieutenant
  • Gangrel in game... any server
    • Blog: Semi-Random mutterings and musings
« Reply #122 on: February 22, 2008, 10:00:49 PM »
Accounts dont get deleted, they just get put on hold otherwise they would be shooting themselves in the foot.
1) I reject your reality.... and substitute my own
2) Not to be used when upset... will void warranty
3) Stoke me a clipper i will be back for dinner
4) Never tell Gangrel to do anything... he will probably get it wrong
5) I have seen more intelligence from an NPC AI in TR beta, than from most MMO players.
6) BLOG ME!

Quote from: Lomez
WARNING! Swedish wall-of-text hits you for bork-bork-bork damage!

Offline Robovski

• Recruit
« Reply #123 on: February 24, 2008, 02:20:03 AM »
Using the above example, on average you'd have a 3 in 4 chance to upgrade your item to [3][3][3], but I won't blame you for not trying those odds ;)

I'm curious about the 50% chance of success and 20% chance to destroy, does your crafter not have a maxed out skill in Thermodynamics? Or do the percentages change at lvl 50? Come to think of it, what IS the level of your crafter?

My crafter has 2 spot in all crafting skills (allowing me to fabricate what I can use now with my 4 characters) and was at the time a level 25 sapper (now 27). He's a temp until I get a proper crafter in, which I expect to spin off at a higher level.

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
« Reply #124 on: February 28, 2008, 07:14:59 PM »
note on crafting. www.rgtr.com has posted a new offical crafting guide at http://www.rgtr.com/game_intel/official_guides/index.html
only thing note worthy is the guide is  stating:
greys to blues can only have a max of 3 enhancements , purple max 4 enhancments. All enhancements can have a max of lvl 5.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline Dashiva

• Corporal
  • Complex
« Reply #125 on: February 28, 2008, 08:36:27 PM »
Yeah, the crafting "guide" doesn't really say much that isn't in the tiny tutorial window you get ingame already.
"Don't worry; the Universe IS out to get you."

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: February 28, 2008, 09:09:25 PM »
Well, whoever wrote that guide (Q&A rep?) hasn't tried to craft anything recently; as of patch 1.5.4.1, I'm still able to put a fourth mod on a blue weapon...
If failure is not an option at any point along the way, it is in fact mandatory. - Engineering maxim
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams
Only two things are infinite -- the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the Universe. - Albert Einstein

Offline mutts

• Corporal
« Reply #127 on: February 28, 2008, 11:00:53 PM »
I tried to put a 4th mod on a Blue piece of Graviton the other night, pre 1.5, and wasn't able to.  I haven't tried since 1.5 though.

Offline stygi

• Lance Corporal
  • Centaurus: Gabba
« Reply #128 on: February 29, 2008, 02:00:31 AM »
iam not able to give an blue item a 4. mod since 1.3?.
I also have alot of purples where i cant put a 4. mod...

Offline Unomat

• Staff Sergeant
« Reply #129 on: February 29, 2008, 09:49:28 AM »
mutts, I've experienced the same with blue armor for months. Blue weapons are a completely different kettle of fish though (or so it seems).