Author Topic: Healing targetting! :(  (Read 26405 times)

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
Healing targetting! :(
« on: November 24, 2007, 01:34:54 AM »
Is anyone else driven insane by the mechanics of healing?

I'm finding it rediculously hard to use anything other than radial spam when healing a group. Keeping a direct tool aimed at a team mate who's moving around in the middle of a fight is nearly impossible. Even when someone dies, if they're under a mob's corpse they often can't be targetted.

And healing myself is a nightmare as well. I've had countless time where I've been firing at something, pull out the direct repair tool, and when clicking get 'You can't perform this action on that target' as it tries to HEAL THE THING I WAS JUST SHOOTING!!

Or maybe when you pull out the repair tool in a big trench fight, and heal that lucky NPC AFS soldier standing off to the side?

Or how about Reality Rippers? Nothing like the feeling of dropping a ripper, and then pulling out the repair tool and repairing the ripper instead of yourself.

I've spent quite a few rez trauma kits on goofups like those two.

I wish there was some place we could bring complaints like this to the devs directly. :(

At least we need something along the lines of holding down shift makes you only target friendlies, and holding alt makes you target yourself... or some easy way to target (and lock on!) to team mates.

/gripe

Offline PegasusMD

• News Updater Junkie
  • Gunnery Sergeant
  • Standing on a rainbow
Re: Healing targetting! :(
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 02:50:17 AM »
there is a feedback form on the main TR site that goes directly to the devs.
Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark. - Heinlein
ingame name all servers - Pegasus
Have you heard the POP this morning?
"Close is not need with Nukes"

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 02:55:11 AM »
that's the kind of news i wanted!

*attacks form*

:D

Offline Sowaka

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 03:29:44 PM »
Haha, this annoys the heck out of me as well, for instance, me and an ally need repairs badly, so I take out my repair tool and repair him (IF I can target him) and then move the crosshairs off of him completely and turn myself around just to repair myself.. and sometimes it even still repairs my ally a second time instead of me when enemies are eating away at my health bar quickly.

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 04:33:57 PM »
Yah don't you love it when the little blue beam from the repair tool arcs way off at some funny angle behind you? I usually know that's the graphic that signals my death. Happens a LOT with my reality ripper. That thing is also a black hole for healing.

Offline Ronin

• Corporal
  • Server: Centaurus (EU)
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 08:19:26 PM »
You can adjust the stickyness of targeting in the game preferences.

• press O for Options
  • switch to GAME tab and look for 'Sticky Targeting Delay'
  • experiment with it to suit your playstyle

there you have it :)

- Ronin

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2007, 07:37:36 PM »
true, i've played with sticky targetting quite a bit...

but it's not really fixing it. the other problem is that it doesn't differentiate in any way between healing targetting and firing targetting: for firing i like very low stick-time so that I can pick my targets out of a crowd w/o having to wait for my reticle to unstick from something

but for healing i like very stick targetting so i have a lot of leeway when aiming at a friend... i know that my reticle won't keep bouncing off of him.

definitely needs something along the lines of holding shift+1 will make it so any action you take targets yourself, shift+2 targets first team mate, shift+3 = second team mate, etc etc.

Offline teskon

• Server Stealer
  • Second Lieutenant
  • demolitionist ! guardian ! grenadier !
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2007, 08:33:03 PM »
with fixed targets, and if only for healing purposes, we would go back to standard mmo ... healing others in tr = playerskill and somewhat luck

let's keep it that way, and if your mates to not stay close to you, their fault

as supporter in tr you have to make some rules for your members: no jumping, no running away, no stupid running around corners ... TACTICS and DISCIPLINE ! if you do not state that clear, you're lost ... really

standing aside to your members is helpful too,
<ē><ē<>ē><ē>
the machine mother told us of the planet of your birth - we know how you have harmed this place, with your pollution, your violence, and your dischord - but when we arrive there, we will cleanse the surface of that place, and merge it, with the harmony of the many
<ē><ē<>ē><ē>

Offline Smarten

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2007, 10:24:05 AM »
The Targetsystem is great. Its difficult but I like it.

You'll need to place yourself on a right position in battle to heal your teammates. But you will also need some teammates who doesn't jump in the mob to die.

I am always ~15m behind my teammates, who are two meele soldiers+ (Spy and Guardian). If they are getting too much damage, they move outside the mobs in my direction. Now I can easily target them, and save them. ;)
Iím not sick, but Iím not well - And Iím so hot cause Iím in hell
Iím not sick, but Iím not well - And itís a sin to live this well

Offline Tenzan

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2007, 11:32:54 AM »
Yah don't you love it when the little blue beam from the repair tool arcs way off at some funny angle behind you? I usually know that's the graphic that signals my death. Happens a LOT with my reality ripper. That thing is also a black hole for healing.

Yeah, nothing like dropping a ripper and running 180 degrees away from it then having the beam shoot backwards out of your arse healing the ripper and having you die ::)  :D

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2007, 01:59:31 PM »
yeah, the targetting reality ripper thing is enough justification by itself to revamp the healing mechanics imo. :P nobody seems to agree though. :x

these boards are full of people who are gluttons for punishment... they like fighting miasmas, they like mech armor, and they like the healing?! insanity.

Offline Smarten

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2007, 02:03:32 PM »
these boards are full of people who are gluttons for punishment... they like fighting miasmas, they like mech armor, and they like the healing?! insanity.

I hate miasmas.  ;D
But the Mech Armour and the healing targetting are okay.  :P

Offline 13thDisciple

• Corporal
  • http://www.apokalypsos.com
    • Apokalypsos MMO
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2007, 03:51:02 PM »
Any skill that you can throw on another Player is tough, although healing tools are ok if when you get a friendly in lin of sight hit tab on em real quick then your locked to em, but damn i hate wasting my shield extender on some Frieldnly NPC because the player keeps jumping around like the damn floor is hot. 

With the cooldown timer on the shield extender as it is, its enough to make you wish the healer class had some type of friendly trap, call it Straight Jacket to hold a human player down so you can help them.   :P

I however have changed my play style (general play, not referring to grouped play), i use my healer class for self only (use direct tools and look away from any player/npc).  I know kinda selfish but the way i see it; if you want me to help you by healing or buffing, you'll quit jumping around like i asked (of course not during combat times or group mission runs, i play my role then).  Why should i waste my consumables while they are having a spazz attack.

Offline Smarten

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2007, 04:04:12 PM »
Any skill that you can throw on another Player is tough, although healing tools are ok if when you get a friendly in lin of sight hit tab on em real quick then your locked to em, but damn i hate wasting my shield extender on some Frieldnly NPC because the player keeps jumping around like the damn floor is hot.

May be my imagination... but when I has my healtool equipped, I think the target also locks for the Skills. I haven't tested it, but my feeling tells me that my theory is true. ;)

Offline Everyone

• Lance Corporal
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2007, 04:27:57 PM »
yeah the skill will go to whoever you have your reticle locked to, and when you have a healing tool your reticle automatically starts targetting friendlies instead of enemies, so you aren't imagining things. :)

now hitting the RIGHT friendly... that's tough!

As it stands, when I'm solo I have direct healing and armor repair tools equipped. I still die occasionally from healing a ripper or an NPC or (apparently?) trying to target an enemy and getting 'you can't perform that action on that target'.

In a group, I keep the direct healing tool and use it only for rezzing (not for combat... if someone is in their health in combat chances are they're going to die anyways, and healing their health is just delaying the inevitable... repairing their armor is a much safer tactic), and a radial repair tool that I use as a ghetto single target: IE I follow a single person when I'm trying to heal them and just spam the tool. Much more reliable, and much less player death. It's a bonus if more than one person is in the radius and receives the heals.  8)

I still maintain it's broken. Some players are just referring to the bug as a 'feature'.  >:D